Macbook vs. Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TStewart422, Dec 16, 2007.

1. TStewart422 macrumors member

Hey everyone! Just joined the site and am looking forward to becoming one of the Mac community.

I'm currently running a DELL XPS M140 (don't throw any rocks yet) and am looking for something different. I've had the opportunity to use last year's iMacs at school and fell in love. Now, with several keys missing, a broken CD/DVD-ROM drive, and a love affair with Apple later: It's time for a change.

Because of mostly a lack of space, a laptop is the direction I'm going in. However, after looking at the mid-level Macbooks and the baseline Macbook Pros, I have found myself in a rut. Which fits my own needs better?

I do very little besides surf the web, play on iTunes, a LITTLE World of Warcraft, some SNES/PSX emulator fun, working with Cool Edit Pro, and a little Picasa (can't wait to replace that with iPhoto).

Also, I have a hard time fathoming switching to a smaller screen, yet at the same time, don't really know how to justify spending $400 just for the super-sized screen.

So, I bring my situation to you, the ones who know. Thanks and I look forward to joining you guys in Mac ecstasy!

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

might as well get the pro. It sounds like you'll use the bigger screen and the GPU.

3. heatmiser macrumors 68020

In the past year, I've owned two 17" laptops, a 12" laptop, one 15", and now a 13". I moved from my 17" (which I loved) to a 13" Macbook. I don't really miss the bigger screen; the resolution is high at 1280x800, and the portability makes up for the loss in sheer screen size. If you're set on an MBP, try a refurbished model from Apple or a 3rd party reseller; the cheapest run around 1700 at the former, and 1200 at the latter. http://lowendmac.com/deals/macbookpro.html

4. InkMaster macrumors 6502a

Sounds like the MacBook will be fine for you - WoW won't be too pretty, but its still usable. Now the screen - the MacBook has the exact same 1280x800 resolution as your M140, so you wont lose any workspace at all; and chances are when you're at home you'll just be using an external screen anyways, so no worries there.

When you think of joining the cult?

5. TStewart422 thread starter macrumors member

Wow! Thanks for all the replies so quickly!

I'll be joining the cult soon after making the Macbook vs. Macbook Pro decision. If I decide on the former, it will be within the month. If the latter, I'll wait until they're upgraded (could be January or February) and then jump in. It all depends.

6. Octobot macrumors regular

Octobot

Like Ink says macbook should be fine..

Though if you have the cash get a MBP15" .. its smooth and stylish.
    Plus it could increase what you could/want to to with it.

7. Octobot macrumors regular

Octobot

8. TStewart422 thread starter macrumors member

Awesome! Looks like I'm going to look into getting a Macbook.

Now, that leaves only one last question: Black or white?

The whites are cool-looking and all, but for some reason I think they're almost girly.

On the other hand, the blacks have this bad problem with fingerprints and the paint rubbing off. Is that still true with the new Santa Rosa variety?

9. InkMaster macrumors 6502a

White = Special
    Black = Same ugly poo poo as any other dell, hp, acer, asus, etc etc etc

10. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

Aluminum's better :p

I dunno if you don't feel awful paying for the color, I'd go with black.

But then again the old school white plastic is probably fading out with MacWorld coming up... so you might have one of the last ones ;)

11. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

If you care, you should look at the benchmarks of the new Macbooks vs the base-line Macbook Pro when it comes to video gaming.

http://barefeats.com/mbook1.html

http://barefeats.com/mbook2.html

I would suggest, since you like to play World of Warcraft, that you pony up the extra dough and get the 2.2ghz Macbook Pro. Or wait for the new MBPs when they come around.

12. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

OP, I have to ask what your financial and personal situation is. If you have the money, then the $400 additional investment will get you a nicer machine, even if the price to features ratio is higher.

However, if you don't have the spare dollars to go around, save your money and go with the macbook.

Lastly, if you're a student, the smaller (even though it's only by a little) size of the macbook might make its use easier in certain classrooms that have small desks.

13. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i say go with the macbook. it really is a fine machine; i honestly think people don't give it enough credit. it doesn't look like you do anything that requires the use of a dedicated graphics card. and if you're looking for more screen real estate, use the $400 you would have used towards the macbook pro to buy an external monitor instead. plus, you don't have to buy it all at once.

14. TStewart422 thread starter macrumors member

My financial situation's fine. It really comes down to my own patience playing against me. :D

15. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

In which case, just wait out the extra couple of weeks. Even if you don't get the "magic" notebook for you, things might settle enough so you have an easier decision to make.

16. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i have to agree with this. mid january is always a better time to buy a mac than december. wait a month. merry christmas!

17. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Please don't buy anything until after mid January. ;)

18. Towhead macrumors regular

White isn't girly at all.

Pink bits are my favorites.

19. TStewart422 thread starter macrumors member

I would guess that is Macworld. Is there anything besides a 13 in. Pro or ultraportable Pro rumored; such as a facelift to the line?

20. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

My bet would be new processors in the mbps and perhaps other goodies. This is why it might be prudent for you to wait. You might find the boost given to the mbps will be worth the extra cash.

21. jameskohn macrumors 6502

13" Mbp

13" MBP: All I want for Christmas, oops, I mean MWSF, is a 13" MBP.

22. Matek macrumors 6502a

Huh, is there anything newer than Santa Rosa available for laptops? I know penryn updates are coming in january, but i'll be suprised if apple throws them in immediately. Lately they haven't really been on the edge.

23. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Oh there's always something new around the corner. ;)

24. TStewart422 thread starter macrumors member

I'm still stuck on black vs. white...

... black looks oh so nice, not to mention the bigger harddrive will make for a slight performance boost. What do you guys think?

25. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I saw a guy with a black one. It looked sweet, I won't deny. But the keys and spacebar were covered in oil. The trackpad too. It reminded me of the grimy Dell keyboards in our computer lab. Basically, due to the finish, finger oil shows, and in a big way on the black. Keep that in mind. I got the white. It also picks up oil, but it's less visible--at least to me. If you're wondering about the drive, you could just upgrade that yourself to something bigger and faster than anything Apple sells. And if you bought the white and upgraded, you'd still have spent less dough than buying the black.