MacBook vs. MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by OMAN9520, Feb 14, 2008.

1. OMAN9520 macrumors newbie

I'm a student who has previously used PCs, my old computer has died and after using other people's Macs, is ready to switch over.

The problem is I can't decide between the MacBook and MacBook Pro. The computer doesn't have to be extremely portable as I am not going to be doing a lot of traveling, but i would like to be able to take it around the house. I will be using the internet A LOT and doing a lot of typing papers with it as well as watching a lot of videos. Although i have not yet done any, I would like to get into video editing as well. Lastly, I am a fan of big screens and price is a moderate concern.

I would like the computer to be new, not used, and I would like to keep it for about 3 years.

Karl Blingmpton

2. Ryox macrumors 6502a

Ryox

Umm, entry level Macbook Pro if you can afford it, if not a Macbook

3. IMcD23 macrumors regular

IMcD23

Iowa, United States, Earth, Milky Way, . . .
    If you just want basic computing, and smaller laptop, get a macbook. If you want to do video editing, or want a big screen, get a MBP. If price is a moderate concern, get a macbook pro.

4. tennisplaayer11 macrumors member

I think it depends on what kind of video editing you want to do. If it's just like home videos w/ iMovie, then from what you described I think a BlackBook should be fine, but if you want to do more professional stuff with Final Cut, you will probably need a MBP because the graphics on a MB won't work well with FCE or FCP.

5. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

like every one else said, depends on how much video editing you want to do. my macbook can do video editing, but i don't do anything extremely intensive. if a larger display is a must, than a pro is good for you. if you can handle the 13.3" inch than get a macbook and max out the ram and get the biggest hdd you can

6. OMAN9520 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm going to be using it for action sports type of stuff if that makes a difference.

Is the middle MacBook Pro any faster than the MacBooks?

Also what will the rumored penryn processor do in terms of performance?

7. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

for your needs, the macbook white with 2.2 GH ( $1299)
    or the macbook pro ($1999) will suffice.
    i'm using final cut..
    stay away from Air ( esp if you'll be using final cut):)

8. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

the new chipset, theoretically will provide more speed.. but as with every new/first release, there a re always bugs to fix.. do you need it roight now?

9. OMAN9520 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ye I do need it as soon as it comes out, I am currently using a library computer.

Will the bugs be that big of a deal?

10. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

who knows, but

go get it now, otherwise you might be waiting a while

11. Galapp macrumors regular

if you can afford a Macbook Pro, thats the best choise...
    why? Macbook is the "older" and "weaker" version... the Macbook Pro is stronger, and can be good for you :)

12. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

why does it have to be new?
    you can save yourself alot of money by going to a Apple refurb. off the website. it'll be just the same only in a brown box, with the same or less chance of having a problem as a new one.

13. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

Karl, it sounds like the regular MacBook will NOT be to your total satisfaction. I'm also a fan of big screens, and the small screen (and, more importantly, low 1280x800 resolution) of the MacBook is the number-one turn-off for me. I use a high-res (1920x1200) 17" MacBook Pro. Based on what you said, you would probably love this model---but if price is a concern, it may not be for you because it's one of the most expensive notebooks on the planet. As for portability, the MacBook Pros are still quite portable, although definitely not as portable as the MacBooks.

Based on your original post, it sounds like the "low-end" 15" MacBook Pro would be your best bet. (Don't let the words "low-end" put you off of the entry-level model, because it's still a top-shelf notebook.)

14. OMAN9520 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot guys, whats the difference between glossy and matte, do you think the price will be the same after the update?

15. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

glossy the screen has a shiny coating that reflects light really bad

matte the screen is not shiny and does not reflect light (better imho)

price? no

apple usually sticks to its current prices

16. OMAN9520 thread starter macrumors newbie

which one is like the screen on the MacBook? Does the Matte Screen have that sort of glass surface like the MacBook's?

17. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Macbooks are glossy. All laptops have glass screens; the coating is what makes it either glossy (if present) or matte (if not).

18. matthew$ macrumors newbie

MBB vs MBP

I didn't feel the need to start a new thread for this question since the OP title fits the question I have. So, sorry if it comes off as me taking over your thread, that is the least of my intentions.

What is the difference between a MB Black and the current model of a MBP? I know that the video/graphics is a little better on the MBP, but what else? I plan on adding more RAM to the MB Black if that is what I get. Thanks.

19. soms macrumors 6502

soms

The black is just the upper MB model in black, thats it.

20. rhyx macrumors 6502

bigger screen
    discrete graphics card

21. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

video/graphics card. 2 inch screen size. blackbook has bigger HDD then the lowest MBP and same as the middle one.
    if you are looking at a black book look at the white one as well way cheaper for the same specs. just 40GB HDD smaller which u can upgrade on apple website or 3rd party for cheaper.