Macbook Vs Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ColdAsIce, Mar 6, 2008.

1. ColdAsIce macrumors newbie

Hi As you know im keen on Apple products so much im looking to leave the PC as ive had enough of the viruses and blue screen im just fed up of it all! lol Windows undoubtedely sucks but obviously we aint here to slag off other manufacturers.

Im currently living in the UK, and i have decided to take the plunge for the Mac few questions i had is im due to be starting university in October id like to go for a notebook as i require portability. Is it worth while for me to wait when i do start uni as i dont really need at the moment, people on this forum winge that shall i wait as i have my comp.

Macbook vs Macbook Pro debate.

Im in 2 minds which one to go for, i will be using to type, email. music, watch films, photoshop (im in the process of learning as a hobby) and maybe some small video editing. May play the odd ocassional game here and there.

Obviously the pro has its advantages.

Which would be better for me? im looking for a future proof system ideally looking to keep the system for another 6-7 years e.g. ive had my Dell for around 7 years its serving me well at the moment but its a bit tad too old :).

Any advantages with the new chipsets or could it be better to go refurb is multi touch a big issue.

Also the graphics there is a big debate on board or Nvidia of course we know the 8600GT is a fantastic card. Is there much between the 256mb and 512mb cards is it likely in the future NVIDIA will bring out new cards of course they are saying the Montevina update is imminent is it likely that new cards will be supported with that. Will the Macbooks see new case designs possibly? Is it justified with the extra £300 price tag just out of interest also.

Also in the terms of future proof, can the Macbook Pros handle the hardcore games ? is it HD ready out of interest. Blue ray isnt a issue because i rather get a PS3. I assume 4gb of RAM is ideal to use.

Im a student i get discount as we know is the Apple care which is discounted the same as the full price one?

Apologies for the long thread im just lost thats all, its all new to me but any advice would be appreciated. It's difficult encouraging parents because £1500+ is a hell of a lot of money for that equipment yet Apple do the best on the market so its standard practice i wouldnt really blame them.

Any advice would be appreciated, sorry its more Macbook Pro orientated but still would like differences between 2.

Thanking you :).

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Get the pro, with the maximum VRAM, upgrade the RAM later. The additional VRAM will make the machine more Futureproof, as will it just by being a Pro with the seperate video card.

TEG

3. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Get the Pro load it up with 4GB's of ram and a HUGE hard Drive and don't ever look back!

4. soms macrumors 6502

soms

7 years?

Also why not just upgrade the ram yourself? that would save a BOATLOAD of money through Apple.

5. nintendude macrumors 6502

I agree with most above posts but if you really want it to be future proof and don't mind waiting, i would recommend waiting for Montevina around June

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Futureproofing?

There's no such thing. I find it a bit naive to think you can do this with computers. I remember when people were deciding between the 933 MHz iBook or the newer 1 GHz iBook, as some people wanted to "futureproof" their purchases. Three years later, and what do you see them as? Slow computers. I don't see one of them as being faster than the other.

I think either computer will serve your needs, which are modest. If you want to futureproof your computers for the future, buy a MacBook now, and 3 years later, buy another MacBook, or whatever replaces it. It'll be better than buying a MBP now and trying to convince yourself that you're more futureproof.

7. macanudo macrumors regular

macanudo

agreed, there is no such thing as a futureproof - the latest and greatest is always around the corner and your computer usage/updated application versions will always dictate your need for a new computer every few years. If you want piece of mind, get the most computer you can afford. If your case, I would spring for a MBP.

8. ColdAsIce thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay cool thats cleared up some confusion yeh future proof wrong wording used by me because new technology comes out every week or day at least.

The Macbook Pro it is then!

The reason i want to keep it for a while i genuinly do look after my computer hence im only a student not a corporate magnate once i have finished my studies i can buy apple products every month if im rich enough lol!

Ive got some assistance and i think the Macbook Pro will serve the purpose, just out of interest will they ever change the case e.g. Titanium? and add any extra features.

9. beast macrumors member

you have a 7 year old Dell????? How slow is that thing now????

10. ColdAsIce thread starter macrumors newbie

Specs wise

Its the following below,

Pentium 4 1.7GHz
    512mb Ram (Bought an extra 256MB Ram from Crucial UK) As originally it was 256mb.
    40GB Hard Drive
    64MB Nvidia MX-400 Graphics Card
    USB 1.1 ports- 2 are already mashed had to buy a USB 2.0 PCI card to replace it with USB 2.0.
    15" Monitor (Standard) Would like a cool flatscreen
    Ethernet Card (Installed that myself too)
    Windows XP Home
    DVD Drive
    DVD Re-Writer

You can see, at the moment its doing im not complaining anyways its doing what i need to do but come October i wanna move to a Apple Mac.

A lot of my mates have the latest gadgets but i seem to look after mine quite well and im lagging behind i know oh well im being patient as ever.

Will the new possible notebooks in june have any minor speed bumps?
    Also the graphics there is a big debate on board or Nvidia of course we know the 8600GT is a fantastic card. Is there much between the 256mb and 512mb cards is it likely in the future NVIDIA will bring out new cards of course they are saying the Montevina update is imminent is it likely that new cards will be supported with that. Will the Macbooks Pros see new case designs possibly? Titanium like found on the IBook G4 right...

Is it justified with the extra £300 price tag just out of interest also. Will it do the intensive video that im interested in doing e.g Pinnacle even Final Cut Studio etc.

Also can the Macbook Pros handle the hardcore games ? is it HD ready out of interest. Blue ray isnt a issue because i rather get a PS3. I assume 4gb of RAM is ideal to use. Which ill upgrade myself e.g. Crucial UK etc.

Unless i dont want to go for a newer Pro what about the refurbished MB Pro's would they be worth it?

Im a student i get discount as we know is the Apple care which is discounted is this the same as the full price one?

Macbook Pro here i come i hope!!

11. trip1ex macrumors 68000

Get the $2k MBP. 256mb of video memory is plenty. The only people that need already know why they need more imo.

The MBP isn't a hardcore gaming machine, but yeah it can probably play most of today's games at medium to low settings with smooth framerates and 1024x768 resolutions.