MacBook Vs. MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by shurgie, Jun 26, 2008.

1. shurgie macrumors regular

I am going to college in the fall attending Virginia Tech as a Communication Major. I was looking into getting the MacBook Pro for a while but after checking them out in the store I discovered it was very large, but the back lit keyboard is a plus. It might also seem huge because I currently own a Powerbook g4 12 inch, which I love.
    I will be going for a Mass Media option which does mean I'll be editing video and such.

"The more basic packages are for students who plan a career in print journalism, the standard for careers in public relations or electronic journalism, and the high level for careers in film or video production."

Above is what the requirement is listed as and I am trying to figure out if a fully loaded MacBook would qualify for the job or if I need to go for the Pro.

Thanks in advance.

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Need, want, need, want... :p

The 15" is huge compared to the old 12" PB. I made the jump myself last year and now I can't live without the extra real estate.

Remember too that most students change their major several times while at uni.

3. shurgie thread starter macrumors regular

yeah, scared it will be too much to carry around though, and the only difference if the matte, back lit, and the size correct? And the little speed boost of course.

4. heatmiser macrumors 68020

You're much better off with a Macbook unless you've got an explicit need for the MBP's video card. In one of my classes, there were about a dozen or more students with MBs, and only about 3 or 4 with Power/Macbooks.

5. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

I'd get the MacBook Pro.
    You'll be working with video so the extra speed will be worth it; as well as the added screen real estate.

Buying more than you think you need now is good since that way you won't come up short in the future in case you need the MacBook Pro.

6. happylau macrumors member

Mbp

I'd get the Macbook Pro too. I have one and at first I thought it would be horrible to carry around but it's not, plus the MB is just a few gr. lighter.
    You'll need the graphics card if you plan on editing video, etc. and the matte big screen is just lovely.
    I'm very happy with it, I highly recommend spending the extra bucks on an MBP.

7. NateDMB macrumors regular

NateDMB

I would go with the MacBook Pro if you can afford the jump. I too am a media and communications major, and have a MacBook. I have to use FCE instead of FCS2 because of the video card constraints. If you can, go with the pro. It's not that much of a size and weight difference either.

8. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I don't know what you guys are smoking, but my 2.2GHz MacBook runs Final Cut Studio 2 just fine. Final Cut Pro at least is more than usable on the machine. Paying an extra lump of cash for a GPU which will be seldom used is a bad idea in my opinion.

9. Apple-Man23 macrumors regular

Frankly both machines will work for you, but if you have the cash to get the mbp go for it, if not the mb is nowhere near a bad option. furthermore i strongly recomend stopping in an apple store and testing them out. best of luck with you decision making!

10. shurgie thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for all the responses, def. helped, going to probably check into the Apple Store this weekend and get the true 1 on 1 with the computers.

11. Fontenette Yo! macrumors regular

Fontenette Yo!

Ive got a MB and I say go with the MBP. No one thinks they need the dedicated graphics card until they get stuck in a stupid situation...

12. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Not unless you are running either Color or Motion 2 which both use the GPU extensively.

I say get the Mac Book Pro. The weight difference between the books is negligible. You are talking about 5 pounds versus 5.4 pounds. If you notice the difference then there is nothing that we can do for you, just get the MacBook.

But if you do have some muscles, then grab the MBP. You will need the screen space if you are going to be doing mass media. And the other thing that separates the two books are the FW800 port and Express card slot. And when you learn the technical side of mass media, as most should, then you will be using those ports frequently.

13. shurgie thread starter macrumors regular

Yes the FW800 port was one of the things that was pulling me towards the pro more, the speed with help with editing and such. Should I purchase the 4GB through Apple or just buy the RAM separately install it and then sell the 2GBs? I have heard the installation isn't that hard and I have done it previously on my Powerbook.

Does anyone have any experience?

14. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Buy the RAM from an online vendor. Even BestBuy overcharges for their RAM. OWC and CRUCIAL are the ones that are becoming popular.

Installation is very easy. Somewhat like your Powerbook. If you had the 17" then it's exactly the same. The easiest thing to do on a MBP even.

15. NateDMB macrumors regular

NateDMB

Very true. This is why I suggest the MBP. I love my MacBook dearly but as you delve further into the media major you will be using apps that need the better GPU. School normally provides you with the equipment to do so, but having your own is never a bad thing.

16. DaveF macrumors 6502a

Will you be editing video on your own computer or in a school computer lab? Does the school have better video editing hardware than you get in a laptop?

17. charliex5 macrumors regular

get the MBP

I have a MB while my wife has a MBP. I do a lot of web design while my wife is a photographer/graphic designer. I upgraded my ram but her computer still runs just that much smoother. I of course wanted something smaller and more portable so I'm happy with my choice but if you're going for power, definately get the MBP. It's waaaay more durable, the speakers sound waaaay better, the screen isn't overly large but more than large enough.

18. shurgie thread starter macrumors regular

Money is not an issue as it will be a graduation present, so I am not worried about that. What I am worried about is the size because I'm coming from my small 12" which I love. I know I won't get anything like that, so I moved onto power being an issue I guess. I have been using my PowerBook for 4 years and love it, still can run Adium, Itunes, photoshop, and firefox seemlessly. If I buy a MacBook do you believe it will last powerwise as long as a MacBook Pro. I tend to think otherwise just with my experience with my PowerBook which leans me towards the Pro.

19. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

It will if you get the faster chip in the machine, but if you are going to be doing media related tasks that require editing in Motion or Color and Adobe Premier or After Effects you will want that better GFX card.

Since money is not object, get the high end 15" with the much better GFX card. I'd suggest the 17" since nothing is under clocked, the screen is much better, and there are more ports, but you are worried about size.

I also suggest getting the 15" book and keeping the 12" to carry around with you for note taking. When you have classes that require your heavy 15" then leave the 12 at home/dorm/apt and bring the bigger book. But when your day is light and doesn't require such weight you can grab the 12".

20. shurgie thread starter macrumors regular

I would rather not bring two computers to school to leave more stuff in the dorm, it's small already. And the one issue I'm wondering about is the whole heat issue. I know with my 12" my computer gets pretty hot, and I'm wondering that the MBP or MB will get hot as well. When I'm in bed with it on my lap or on the couch after about 20 minute it will get hot. And the fan issue with my current computer is that if I have some programs running the noise of the fan will be loud, and considering I leave my computer by my bed I close some applications that are open to make it quieter. Whats the deal on the new laptops with fan, and heat issues?

21. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

The new ones do a much better job of keeping the heat and noise down to a minimum. The book I have is much cooler running and quieter than my 15" C2D, but the fans do kick on when doing the heavy lifting and the machine does get hot when I have multiple apps open.

22. shurgie thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you all very much for all your help, I am stopping by the Apple Store today to see the size, weight, and performance first hand.

So my last question is, might it be worth it to wait to see if there is an update in the coming months seeing that I will not be needing the computer until about August 15th or so. Or should I not bother waiting and go for it?

I would love to take advantage of the 100 dollar rebate on the printer since I will need one and that only runs until July 20th or so I believe, do you think the update will be out by then or am I going to run out of time before the update?

23. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

No one knows if there will be an update by the time you buy or not. With the school special going on, there may not be a big update.

If there is an update, it may not benefit you that much anyway since it will most likely be a slighty faster CPU and GPU.

Since you don't need it until August 15th, you could wait and see.

24. DaveF macrumors 6502a

Buy a lapdesk. http://www.levenger.com/PAGETEMPLATES/PRODUCT/Product.asp?Params=Category=5-344|PageID=1096|Level=2-3|Link=PI|special=search|ID=SearchClicked|i=3

I have this in the living room and love it. I find using a laptop on my lap awkward to being with; this keeps it level and at a better height no matter how I'm sitting.

They're also good for studying, writing, and even as a food tray :)