Macbook VS Macbook Pro....

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stieny, Dec 16, 2008.

1. stieny macrumors member

Hi all,

I'm new to the mac world. I got an iPhone back in September and its been great thus far. My sister got a Macbook last year and she swears by it so I decided to switch from my very old and outdated PC to a Mac.

I'm getting it in the next few days and I've been looking at the 2.4 Macbook and the 2.4 MacPro.

I've searched the forums a bit but haven't found any threads that really talk about the two and compare them besides the thread about the screen differences.

Well, I guess the big differences are the extra graphic card, (I'm not really sure how it works but I know it is better for graphics/video editing) the screen is a bit better with the Pro and obviously the size difference.

Is it really worth spending the extra money on? I've never really used a mac before so I know very little about them.

Thanks

*Edit: I should also probably include that I use my computer for about everything. Right now I use it mainly for school but I also watch some movies and would eventually like to get into making and editing movie clips.

2. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

There are lots and lots of threads like this, but no worries, you're here now.

This question ultimately comes down to what you use the computer for.

Basic internet surfing, MS office, Homework, etc. is for the Macbook. But the MB is a stout little computer capable of handling more robust things if necessary.

If you're going to be doing stuff like video editing, intense photo stuff, photoshop, etc. then I'd say the Macbook Pro is a safer bet.

Differences between the 2.4 MB and the 2.4 MBP are a seperate video card, a firewire port, and the size. The screen on the MBP does look a little bit better, in that the colors look richer and more saturated. But that's something you should check out for yourself.

Hope this helps.

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

That depends entirely on what you plan to do with it. If you just use it for internet, word processing and so forth, and maybe light gaming, the MacBook will be more than enough.

Edit: Bugger, beat me to it.

4. stieny thread starter macrumors member

I updated my original post with my uses for my computer.

I do have a digital camcorder that I download via firewire right now.

I've been to an apple store and looked at both of them. Its hard to compare with just using each of them for a few min.

Sorry if this is a repeat thread. I'm sure all you Mac gurus are tired of answering such basic questions. Just trying to gain as much insight as I can before I buy.

Thanks again.....

5. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

I'm no guru yet. I am just in the same boat as you, have been asking the same questions as you, and hopefully will be going to pick up my first mac, a 2.4 MB, in the next couple of days. Having asked so many questions I feel like I could share my insight.

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Sadly, thanks to Apple's shortsightedness, if you have no choice but to use Firewire, then you have no choice but to use a MacBook Pro.

Otherwise, I think a MacBook would be plenty. If you're doing a lot of (casual) editing, you might want to think about connecting an external display. Again, if you're running Final Cut Pro, a MacBook Pro is probably the way to go.

7. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

Is that shortsightedness or are they just pressuring you into buying the more expensive model?

8. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I wish in JUST ONE thread when somebody mentions the MB doesn't have firewire, they could do it without ripping Apple for their decision...

I am sick of the crying about no firewire in the new MB. I don't care one way or the other. I bought the MB knowing full well it does not have firewire.

I just wish you guys could all get over the absence of firewire in the MB and admit that if you need firewire, you are a professional or are using older equipment. Over 90% of peripherals use USB 2.0. And the MB and MBP have two USB 2.0 ports. The greatest good for the greatest number...

To the OP, sorry to interject here on your thread. I just get so frustrated with all of the crying in every post about Apple not including firewire in the new MB. It is a sore subject for most, but I really believe they all need to get over it. It has been two months since the MB was released and people are still crying about it.

So, while your video recorder has firewire, does it also have USB 2.0? If so, no worries. If not, I just wonder how old is it?

They are both excellent products. If you require firewire, you will want the MBP, but probably not for just the firewire. The added capabilities of the Nvidia discrete graphics card will enable you better graphics for gaming and video.

If your video recorder also uses USB 2.0, and you don't care about gaming you may opt for the MB. Or, if you want to do professional video editing, you may want the MBP also. Any gaming, nearly, will require the discrete graphics of the MBP.

Best wishes and congrats on your new MacBook or MacBook Pro.

Cheers.

9. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Well, the point is that the OP has no choice but to either buy a computer that may be overkill, or change his/her workflow. Call me crazy, but I think new computers should be upgrades. What's more, Apple really had no reason to drop support... and don't get me started on the new proprietary displays!

10. stieny thread starter macrumors member

My digital camcorder is actually a bit dated but it still works well so I don't feel like upgrading that just yet.

I bought a mini to firewire cable for it because firewire transfers date faster than USB 2.0.

Though the firewire port would be convenient, its not a necessity. But for an extra $300-$400, it seems worth it, especially if I am going to watch DVD's on it.

Decisions, decisions.....

11. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Don't discount the MacBook solely on the basis of screen size, though. You can buy a 24" monitor for the price difference if that's your main concern. Personally, I've found 13.3" to be plenty for most tasks... although I should admit that at the moment I'm using a 20" iMac with a second 17" display beside it.