Macbook vs. Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by nooaah, Sep 3, 2009.

1. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

Hi all,

I'm looking to purchase my first Mac. I want a notebook that I can take around the house but rarely outside or on battery (other than to train it/keep it from dying). I was wondering if there is a distinct advantage between the two for someone like me who won't be playing games or doing anything media-intensive activities. Here are the two machines I'm considering, same price:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB467LL/A?mco=Nzk2MTU0Mw

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB990LL/A?mco=Nzk2MTU0Mw

I plan on upgrading the HDD/memory myself, of course. Thanks in advance!

2. celticpride678

Another thread on the same question?? Please search! Take the MacBook if you want an outdated design and slower computing. Take the MacBook Pro if you want aluminum, faster computing and a better computer overall.

3. bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

MAcbook

i got the umbp and dont really use it to its full potential, i would get one of the umb save the money, you wont lose any performance for what you are doing

4. mbtalle macrumors member

I bought the refurb uMB last week and it's amazing.

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I'd get the "Pro" just to be sure I didn't get one of the crappy first revision screens from the UMB models :(

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Is the unibody Macbook not made of aluminum? :confused:

The 7-h battery would be a deciding factor for me, but it seems less relevant for you. You might look at benchmarks, and ultimately also resale value may possibly be a consideration -- I think the MBP 13" would generally be expected to hold its value slightly better....

7. Jasoco macrumors 6502

No. The current MacBook is plastic. It is the same white plastic they've used for 2+ years now.

The aluminum MacBook you are probably thinking of was discontinued when they decided to make things simpler and made the aluminum 13" into a "Pro" machine.

The differences between them physically are that the Pro update included FireWire (Which was removed from the first aluminum MB's much to the complaints of pros), an SD card slot and an integrated battery and one piece bottom panel for replacing the HD and RAM. (Which I assume is still user serviceable?)

8. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

If you took 5 seconds to check OP's links, he was asking about the discontinued Aluminum MacBook, not the plastic one. :rolleyes:

Also, OP...since they're the same price, it's no contest in my book. .14ghz isn't worth losing out on the upgraded features.

9. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

Choose the 2.26 GHz 13" MacBook Pro. The built-in battery, SD card slot, and Firewire 800 are all features the MacBook Pro can't match with it's 0.14 GHz processor advantage.

The screen is also significantly improved on the MacBook Pro.

10. nooaah thread starter macrumors 68000

nooaah

I didn't realize there was already a thread comparing those specific models.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm jumping into the Pro and buying a SSD/memory to go with it! Can't friggin' wait. I'll be sure to post about the buying/waiting in the stickied thread. ;)