Macbook vs Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iCe Cube, Oct 25, 2009.

1. iCe Cube macrumors regular

Im a student eligible for the discount and am considering getting either the 13 inch macbook or 13 inch macbook pro. With discount I can get macbook for £680 and macbook pro for £765. If i go for the macbook pro I get the aluminium look, better screen (?), and the odd extra port etc but then less hard drive space. What do you think I should do. Obviously it is my decision but basically the factor is the look. I do like the shiny white plastic look, but do you guys think the aluminium pro is better?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I'd get the MacBook Pro and just upgrade the hard drive, but it's a personal preference. It is disappointing for a lot of users that the specs re the same, but the price isn't.

3. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

you get more ports in the MBP. If you need a USB & Firewire ports, then go with the MBP. If want the option of using an external harddrive, go with MBP.

4. Bbusyb macrumors member

Bbusyb

I'll definately Suggest going with the MBP instead of the MB.

The Build, look, etc are definitely better at least in my opinion. Also, Having the firewire port and the SD card slot is very useful.

Also Keep in Mind that while the HD can easily be upgraded Now or in the future, You're never going to be able to add additional Ports. With 500GB Laptop drive selling for less then £60 and a 320GB for less the £40 you can easily upgrade the drive yourself now or later.

Withe the Difference being less then a £100 I'll suggest going for the higher end model. You'll more then get the value over the life of the computer.

5. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

Get the 13.3" unibody MB regular flavor. I love mine. Or wait for a quad core notebook next year : )

6. prodigee macrumors 6502a

I don't know about you but I think that the new MacBook looks like a flattened marshmallow, I don't like the looks of it at all.

I would say get the MBP not just because it looks so much nicer, but because it has firewire, SD card slot, backlit keyboard, better display, and the IR receiver, whether or not that is important to you I don't know, but the fact of the matter is that the MBP is better in every way. But that's just me.

7. brendu macrumors 68020

Im telling people who are debating this issue to get the pro for one main reason. the pro supports 8GB of ram when the MB only supports 4... this means nothing really today, but in 3 years the pro will still be a great machine and the MB might be lagging.... other specs may be the same but ram expandability is what makes a machine last 5+ years

8. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

It depends what is worth more to you. Having firewire, SD card slot, better display, backlit keyboard, and greater upgradeability. Or more hard drive space, and £85.

9. iCe Cube thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the answers guys...

even with the macbook just being released would you still recommend the pro over it? I dont feel like waiting till january or whenever cos im a bit impatient.

10. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

I have always prefered the white look. But I have to say that the 8GB and FW port are very valuable and for the price you can get the MBP it's worth it.

11. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

As long as you understand that come late January/February there should be a new one. A new one doesn't make the one you currently own any worse.

12. iCe Cube thread starter macrumors regular

Im leaning towards macbook i think!

The reason is theres something about the shiny white plastic thing that i love. Although the metal is also nice, it reminds me too much of windows laptops such as the one im using at the moment!

I might take a trip to an apple reseller and have a look in the flesh

13. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Always get the MacBook Pro, always. It's an investment well worth the extra money. And Spring for the 15" -- you will not regret it. Those 13" screens are too small to really give you the desk space to operate multiple applications as a power user. 15" MacBook Pro is the sweet spot, I have to say.

14. Bbusyb macrumors member

Bbusyb

I have to Disagree here. While The 15" is nice, the added size is areal barrier to mobility. After using 15" Laptops for years I've now switched to using 13" or less as I feel that the lack of Screen real estate is aresonable tradeoff for the much added Mobility and weight reduction.

When You're out with your Computer all day, every pound counts. And unless you are doing a Lot of Video / Photo Editing on the Move a 13" is usually more then adequate. And if you need the Added screen real estate you can always plug in an external monitor.

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wirelessly posted (Nokia 5800 Tube XpressMusic : Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; U; Series60/5.0 Nokia5800d-1/21.0.101; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

I'd simply go with whichever one you think looks better. The specs are about the same for most people.

16. Cinnabar macrumors member

If aesthetics are important to you (and you are anally retentive like me) then you'll worry about what happens to that beautiful looking white plastic after a few months of use.... check here for the heads up on scratching http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/22/unibody-macbook-late-2009-review//

The MacBook Pro is solid and pretty to look at. Definitely go and check them out in the flesh before deciding.

17. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801