macbook vs macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleFreak89, Apr 4, 2010.

1. AppleFreak89 macrumors regular

I know I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but I'm not as tech-savvy as you guys are. I have been researching the differences between the 13" macbook pro and the unibody white macbook. So far the only differences I see are the hardrive (which is bigger on the macbook), and the pro has a unibody keyboard, sd card slot and firwire..

I just want to know if I'm missing anything significant because that doesn't seem like such an upgrade..

Thanks! :apple:

2. mottdog macrumors member

Aluminum body verses a plastic body. It's a no brainer bro, go with the Pro.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The 13" MacBook Pro also have a glass trackpad where the whole trackpad is the button. And the fact that the enclosure is all aluminium oppose to the full plastic used on the MacBook. Basically if depends on how much value you put on the aluminium body, bigger trackpad, and backlit keyboard on the MacBook Pro.

The HDD and RAM can both be upgraded yourself (instructions on iFixIt.com) for a much lower price.

I would say the MacBook and the base-model 13" MacBook Pro are the comparison items. You probably do not need the faster processor upgrades.

5. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I concur with this, backlit keyboard and arguably a better screen :p
    but this truly depends on the amount you're willing to spend :D
    I vote MBP :D

6. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

7. iamKamil macrumors member

iamKamil

go to the apple store and feel both...the macbook feels cheap to me as opposed to the MBP.

8. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

MacBook pro has a better display, wider color gamut, and brighter backlight as well as what was said above. Aluminum case, backlit keyboard, FireWire, sd card slot, and weights 1/2 lb less.
    MacBook has 90 gb more.

9. Nuck81 macrumors regular

This may sound silly, but after getting used to one and then having to spend a night using my Girlfriends laptop the new #1 most important and favorite feature is the backlit keyboard. You have no idea how much that thing means until you do without it.

10. w4rmk macrumors regular

The Pro's have much better resale value down the road.

11. Pax macrumors 6502a

I'd suggest you go and have a good look at both side-by-side. IMHO the difference between the models is very small. I'm not sure the extra $$$$ for the MBP is worthwhile. I don't think anyone can tell you objectively which is better value, it's a personal preference.

I was very close to buying a MB, but I found the MBP on a special offer which made MBP = MB + UKPounds 40. That difference felt worthwhile to me, but I'm not sure that UKPounds 100 difference would have been.

Re the MBP:-
    + it's slightly lighter
    + more bling
    + backlight keyboard
    + firewire
    +SD card
    + possibly brighter screen (not sure MB color gamut is really worse, they look like the same LCD panel)
    - sharp edges
    - more reflections from screen
    - smaller HDD
    all IMHO of course!

I wonder if after the update (rumoured to be very soon) there will be a CPU difference, eg will the MB stay with Core2Duo or go i3 while the MBP gets i5? That would be IMHO be a more significant value difference than currently.