MacBook vs. MacBook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dellavoce, May 19, 2010.

1. dellavoce macrumors regular

So, after entering the world of Mac with a Mac mini, I'm thinking of going all out an getting a MacBook. My question is: what's the difference? MacBook pro seems a lot more expensive. Why? Is it worth the extra dough?

2. Ann P macrumors 68020

3. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

well... the new macbooks, are "basically" the same spec wise as the new 13 in mbps. i don't think they have firewire though. the main cost difference is the ram upgrade that the mbp comes with.

the 15s are in a different ballpark, they offer discrete graphics and hi res screens. those are their big selling points.

4. mingoglia macrumors 6502

It's kinda hard to say without knowing what your requirements are. I'd say if you're buying a Macbook and find yourself knowing you'll want to upgrade it to fit your needs (more memory, bigger hd, etc) then you may want to start with a MBP. Also if the backlit keyboard or overall esthetics appeal to you more, then again the MBP may be for you.

5. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

One key difference if you use memory-intensive programs, the MacBook Pro can use up to 8GB of RAM while the regular MacBook can only use 4GB.

6. lordofuo macrumors regular

Get the 13" MBP.

It has double the RAM, aluminum unibody, edge-to-edge glass display, backlit keys, and the word "Pro" next to "MacBook" below the display. :cool:

It's a wonderful computer, and it looks a lot better than the MacBook. (If that even matters to you.) :p

Nevertheless, the doubled RAM and RAM capacity should be the selling point.

Alex :apple:

7. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

The extra 2 GB of ram, backlit keyboard, and aluminum unibody arethe selling points.
    I realize the MacBook has the plastic unibody, but do not kid yourself, apple is not starting with a solid block of plastic and milling it into a unibody. That is treatment is for only the aluminum models. The aluminum does not scratch with a fingernail and the base does not scuff when you set it down to use it.
    The forged aluminum body is far superior to any laptop available IMO, but carbon fiber will be the next big thing.

8. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

9. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

if yes then buy the 15" or 17" .....