Macbook vs Macbook pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by masterjedi73, Jul 12, 2010.

1. masterjedi73 macrumors 6502

masterjedi73

The specs are the same for the 13" MacBook and 13" MacBook Pro. What's the difference?

2. redscull macrumors 6502a

redscull

I don't think that link leads to a valid discussion. It's considering the older MacBook, not the one you can get now that really is the same as the Pro, most things considered.

To the thread starter: the non-pro lacks the illuminated keyboard, for one, and that's a feature I find I appreciate a lot. I also happen to like the aluminum look and feel, but some people actually prefer the white of the non-pro. The non-pro also has less connector things, but I know I've never cared about any of those. Not sure if they matter to you. And finally, the non-pro defaults to 2GB RAM instead of 4GB. I would, without question, upgrade to 4GB, making the price difference between the two only $100. Might as well get the illuminated keyboard, aluminum body, and fancy "pro" label for $100? That was my conclusion, anyway, when I bought one for my wife.

3. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

I agree with redscull. Faster data transfer with firewire 800, backlit keys for easy low light use, 2x the RAM, better material and ability to use a remote. For $100 you can upgrade the RAM in a MB to get equal performance and then you are left with all those extra features for only $100 - including the resell value.

I bought a new late 2009 MB about 3 months ago for a great price of $799. I missed the backlit keys, I spent $100 to get 4GB ram but also noticed how easily the MB gets scratched despite it living in a sleeve when not in use. Anyway, my local microcenter.com is having a sale on 2010 base MBP for only $999. So I sold my MB and picked up the MBP and can now relax. I put the extra RAM in my iMac to get 8GB. That $200 difference before adding RAM was hard to resist. If you have a microcenter.com near you the MBP is the same price as a MB so that makes the decision very easy

4. masterjedi73 thread starter macrumors 6502

masterjedi73

Ahh yes. I forgot about the missing FireWire on the MacBook. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. I think I'll just keep watching the refurb store.

5. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

go to a store. I had a 13 mbp and the super glossy/glare screen gave me bad headaches. Very happy with my 10hr battery life macbook.

6. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

If firewire, backlit keys, IR sensor, aluminum case, and the "Pro" name are worth the money, then get the Pro. If not, like you've said yourself, hardware-wise the two are basically identical; the Pro just gets a few extra "bling" items. Even though I have a Pro, mine runs in clamshell 98% of the time so most of those extras are wasted.

Shop around, though - I bought my 13" MBP for $1149 and got a $100 mail in rebate, plus free shipping from Macconection.com. Also check the refurb store... :)