MacBook vs. MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by rletc, Aug 31, 2010.

1. rletc macrumors newbie

I know this issue has been debated and I've read the threads. Here's my situation: my teenage daughter wants a MacBook (likes the 'looks' of the white vs. aluminum). As for me, I like the MBP for all the obvious reasons, memory, SD slot, etc. The major issue I have with the MacBook is that it does get extremely dirty, and yes, I've seen that you can use the Magic Eraser but who knows if it may/may not damage the white casing. A weird thing I noticed in owning a previous generation MacBook is that colors from sheets, etc. seem to build up on the casing, removal is difficult at best. I know we're not supposed to use these in bed BUT remember this is a teenager and she knows EVERYTHING. Anyway, what's your thoughts, would you stand firm on the MBP, any issues you've had in keeping the MB clean? Thanks.

2. hamlin macrumors regular

I'm a little confused, the sheets will color your macbook?

3. rletc thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, believe it or not, colored sheets discolored the old MacBook, so much so that you almost have to scrape off the discoloration. Weirdest thing I've ever seen, thus my reluctance to go down this path yet once again. Oh, and I should mention, it's really the comforter which is black, what a mess (and, they're good sheets from Pottery Barn).

4. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

get the Pro. the aluminum casing just looks better and won't pick up colors from the sheets.

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I'd go with the MBP. Overall it's a better deal and a better product. I think if you mentioned to her all the extra goodies that she would get, that could help. Plus I have heard about a lot more problems with the regular MB than the MBP (case warping, scratches, dirt, etc.)

6. millertime021 macrumors 6502a

millertime021

Well doesn't it come down to who is buying it?

If you're buying it, get what you feel is best.

If you're not buying it, give your input and let her decide.

Would she actually use the other ports and what have you on the MBP?
    Also, you could always get those invisible shields for the MB, that may help keep it whiter longer.

I love the look of brand new MB's but give it a year and its looks like crap.

I, being a college student, opted for the MBP because I felt it would last longer and I like the look of the aluminum personally.

And being a teenager for a few more weeks, I have to agree, we are always right. ;):rolleyes:

7. jsf8x macrumors 6502

jsf8x

MBP For sure. In a year or so the MBs White will be offcolored and look terrible while the MBP will still be nice and pristine.

8. JacobHolmes macrumors newbie

JacobHolmes

ColorWare

If you REALLY want to get what she wants exactly and are willing to spend a bit more money, a crazy idea would be to get the laptops coloured by ColorWare. So essentially you could buy a MacBook Pro and get it in white just like the MacBooks. :p

9. iGrainger macrumors member

iGrainger

I was just asking myself the same question, and to be honest i'd say MacBook, you don't get that much more with the MacBook Pro, the RAM, can be upgraded, the SD Slot is hardly used really and the aluminum casing? Really necessary? Just treat it right. You can save a bundle if you get the MacBook and upgrade the RAM from 2GB DDR3 to 4GB DDR3 for the sake of £76 or whatever the price is, so much a better option in my honest opinion, obviously it's up to you, but for the prices, i'd honestly say go for the MacBook and upgrade the RAM, possibly get a case for it, protect it and ensure it doesn't get damaged, what's the issue :)

10. JacobHolmes macrumors newbie

JacobHolmes

Better deal? You make the call.

I just checked and you can get an MacBook with 4 GB of RAM and a 500 GB hard drive (all pre-installed from Apple) for the same price of a base line 13.3-inch MacBook Pro with only a 320 GB hard drive. Personally I would go with the MacBook Pro because its more future-proof in the sense that it can handle up to 8 GB of RAM which will most likely become the norm one day. I think the MacBook Pros have a better re-sale value in my opinion because old 12-inch PowerBook G4s go for around $500 still but the iBook G4s only go for about $350. At the end of the day, they are both great computers, I guess it all comes down to what you want cosmetically. I would be more inclined to getting a MacBook than I would have been a year ago or so, because since the switch to the unibody enclosure they added the multi-touch trackpad and also this unibody design solved those "case cracking" problems people had been having for years. :D

11. JustsomedudeIRL macrumors member

I feel the extra $200, 1/5 the cost of a Macbook, for the Macbook Pro isn't worth it (not even the $150 after student discounts). With the extra $200 you can purchase many more useful things such as a nice laptop backpack or messenger bag, laptop sleeve, iWork, mouse, external hard drive for Time Machine backups, etc.

This is my response to someone claiming the Macbook Pro is the only way to go because it is a much better product.

12. vistadude macrumors 65816

Go with the macbook, that's what she wants and it will save you a little money. Looks are a big thing when buying a mac ;)

13. molala macrumors 6502a

Get her the MacBook if she promises to clean it regularly and care for it. It's what she really wants after all and if she's willing to address your concerns, then everybody wins.

She could always put a tray or a book between the laptop and the comforter. I used to use an airbake cookie tray, kept the laptop cooler, the fans would kick on later.

14. Jawwwwsh macrumors newbie

Wait, she wants the cheaper MacBook and your arguing with her to by her the more expensive MBP?

Can you be my daddy too?

I think go for the MBP, if she is anything like my sister then whatever you buy her is going to get smashed to crap within minutes of her touching it, so the aluminium will be more resilient to the relentless barage of abuse it will most likely recieve.

15. lil1998 macrumors newbie

I registered here solely because I just keep going in circles around in my head. The price difference is not HUGE. I prefer the look of the aluminum, and would prefer 4GB RAM, which STUPIDLY you cannot get (cheaply w/ 3rd party) in the Macbook without replacing the memory completely--is there some reason that the memory cards need to be balanced as in 1GB + 1GB, rather than shipping with a 2GB card and one empty slot?

BUT--I don't shoot much digital and already have a tiny USB card reader. I don't have any Firewire 800 devices. I already have a desktop computer and have never needed a laptop--until now, when I will be out of the country for 6 months. Although my primary usage of it will be Illustrator, I have been reading that 2GB of RAM should be enough--hope that's true, I frequently had issues with my G4 even after upgrading the processor (I think I had 1.5GB RAM in that). Differences in the trackpad don't affect me basically because I hate all trackpads and will be using a mouse. I can type without a lit keyboard.

I have read the specs on the site and I guess this is just something I am stupid about: I don't understand the pros/cons about the audio line-in/line-out or combined port, which is one of the few differences between these computers. I will be listening to music and using Skype. Need to get a microphone headset for this, since when using Skype at home on my desktop I don't need one. (er, or do I need one? I just assumed a separate mike would let me speak more softly). No idea how a combined port affects this.

It's really quite bothersome to me that I like the aluminum so much better :). I know that's a bad reason to choose the MBP. It's just hard to follow the other reasons like longevity, when I already have a desktop. Plus I keep reading about cracks in the white plastic and now--colored sheets are a problem?

16. molala macrumors 6502a

In your case, I'd go MBP because it's what you really want. If the price difference is not huge to you (and it includes 4GB RAM that you want), why lose sleep over it? Don't worry about the unused additional features, they will just be perks.

About Skype, you can use the internal microphone and the speakers when you don't have a headset. The mic/earphone port being combined or not will affect which type of headset to get, but not sure that will affect the call quality at all. I'm guessing not. Or get a USB headset like I do.

17. lil1998 macrumors newbie

Yeah, a USB headset makes sense too....was forgetting about those.

Part of me wants to be happy with the Macbook, and I think it's really dependent on whether or not I need the 4GB memory. (I could probably get past the white plastic, mentally). I use Photoshop and Indesign a lot but I've never found those to be the memory killers that Illustrator is. It's not that $170 is not a lot of money in general (I'm only looking at the refurbished 13" versions), but to completely replace the memory in the Macbook, even with cheaper memory from J&R is, already $100 for two chips (again, so annoying that they don't ship it with a 2GB chip and an empty slot).

This wasn't an issue until the refurbished Macbook I was looking at disappeared from the Apple store and I realized a new Macbook was only $20 less than the refurbished MBP. But after two days of hitting "refresh" the Macbook is back in the refurb store so I'm back to wondering. I'm unemployed at the moment (leaving for long-term volunteering), $170 pays some bills, and I don't need the most amazing model out there since I won't use it much at all once I come back home...

I realize I'm overthinking.

18. ATimson macrumors regular

Two identical cards are needed to gain the speed advantages of dual-channel RAM.

But what I suspect is more important to Apple is that 2x1GB used to be cheaper - may still be for bulk buys like theirs - than 1x2GB stick. (And 2x2GB is still cheaper than 1x4GB.)

19. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

Magic Eraser works well. MacBook Pros are probably more durable though (but to be fair my MacBook has withstood a lot of abuse)