MacBook vs. MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thesdx, Jul 12, 2007.

1. thesdx macrumors 6502a

Hi! I'm getting an iMac soon, and I've also been thinking of replacing my Windoze laptop. It's insanely slow and is constantly getting the BSOD. Anyway, I've been thinking of purchasing a MacBook. I like the compact, thin design and the price, but from what I've heard, it has some issues. (eg. Flickering screen, discoloration, squealing sounds) The MacBook Pro looks awesome, but it's quite expensive, and I'd rather not pay more $$$ than I have to. So, I'm thinking a MacBook with some extra RAM would be good for me. Has anybody had a bad experience with the MB? What do you think?

2. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

Why not just getting the MBP and forget about the iMac thing altogether? You can have it fully loaded and it would still be just as affordable as iMac+MacBook — only that the MBP would probably be more useful than the two combined ;)

3. KristieMac macrumors 6502a

KristieMac

I could second this. I don't have a desktop system, and haven't for years. I had a PC laptop (oh noes!) and now I have the MBP. Depending on what you're planning to do, you may not really need both.

4. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

my parents once had a car which was a complete lemon. No matter how many times it went back to the shop, it always had something wrong with it. As you can imagine, it was extremely frustrating having spent several thousand dollars on something which we didn't have half the time, as it was in being repaired. Yet somehow, this car was very highly recommended in reviews. If a car breaks down this often, how can it possibly get good reviews? Because my parents got unlucky. They just happened to get the car that was made when the robot operators were desperate to go for a smoko. If this car company only made lemons, it would go out of business.

The same applies for computers. You won't hear about those who got their computers, and how it completely filled their expectations. You always get those who are complaining about something, and how their image of the company has completely changed as a result of one bad experience. If Apple only made dodgy stuff which is almost good enough, people wouldn't buy their products. Instead, they have the highest growth rate in the computing industry.

On the whole, Apple make fantastic stuff. More often than not, it works brilliantly, and won't let you down. I've had my MacBook for more than a year now, and i still love it. It is the best piece of technology i've ever owned. If my house was burning down, I would run out with my MacBook in one hand and my Fender bass in the other.

5. Igantius macrumors 65816

Personally, I like having a desktop and laptop, but if money is very tight and you would benefit greatly from having a new mobile computer, just getting a MBP is one option.

However, given that new iMacs are expected imminently, there might be some nice new features worth having – sure you’re away of it, but I think some of the advice you’ve been given doesn’t reflect that.

As to the MB itself…

As to the issues with the MB, the main known issues seem to affect older revisions – for example, because of the discolouration problem Apple has changed the plastic in the palm rest. Obviously, with the MBs only recently updated, you could argue that it’s too early to tell that this latest revision will have absolutely new problems – however, as the MB is now a mature product, I think you can buy with confidence as known problems will inevitably get fixed as the product matures. Of course, there are issues with the current MBPs – which is only to be expected in a not exactly minor update – but certainly nothing to the extent that you should decide against buying.

It’s very easy to overestimate product problems in forums (as Scarlet Fever says), and you’re best off going to a site with editorial control like Macintouch or Macfixit to get more sober information. Incidentally, in a survey Macintouch did at the end of 2006, out of 3,000 laptops, it found that the 17” MBP was most reliable, followed by the MB and then the 15” MBP. With the latter, it tended to be because of a logic board problem, which Apple obviously fixed – I’m not saying that this made the 15” to be an inferior product or that Macintouch’s findings was 100% representative, but it’s a decent example to show spending more money is never a guarantee of trouble-free computing, despite what some posters say in many a thread.

As I say, when it comes to the MB, you can buy with (reasonable) confidence now – but do have a look at Macintouch, it’s a useful resource and you can pick up some good tips.

6. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

I considered going the MacBook/iMac route a couple months ago, but ultimately decided on the MBP. While I sometimes wish I had chosen the slightly more portable MacBook, I love my MBP and don not regret the decision. Simply put, it's a more powerful machine.

Once you get it, backup your Windows desktop and do a complete wipe and reinstall of windows. Unless yours is a hardware problem, this should help clear up the BSODs, and will make the desktop faster that it's currently running.
    You can then use the desktop for some the tasks you would have done on the iMac, and use your new MBP for everything else.

7. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Sound advice, especially as getting an iMac now would get you a machine soon to be obsolete, according to recent rumors ;)

MBPs are quite pricey, but I'd rather get one imba-machine than two consumer-class Macs for the same (or more) money.

Invest in a cheap, large external HD, though, and have that as your 'desktop' HD, so as not to clutter your MBP for the road.

8. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

I have the Black MacBook and it has worked out very well for me. It is very portable, powerful and when I work at my desk I have a 20" LCD and external speakers I use.

Concerning what you've heard:

• Flickering screen - No problem here. Screen is very bright with crisp colors
    • Discoloration - No problem here. At least not with the Black MacBook
    • Squealing Sounds - The built-in speakers on the MacBook are nothing to write home about, but I've never heard any squealing. With that said you'll want to connect to external speakers when you can.

9. thesdx thread starter macrumors 6502a

I do need both for what I do. I'll probably go with the MacBook and get 2GB RAM. As for the iMac, I'm probably going to wait until October for Leopard and the new iMacs.

10. mbpcron macrumors member

mbpcron

I bought a MBP 15 2.1 refurb from Apple and it's great !!
    For the same weight, I figured the larger screen was worth it.
    No regrets !!!