Macbook vs Older Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mac-Lover, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Mac-Lover macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I have a rather interesting situation, I have been offered a 17" Macbook Pro Core Duo (2.16GHZ) at a ridculous price... would it be an improvement on my current core2duo (2GHZ) blackbook? Please could you give me any pitfalls or advantages of switching from the macbook to the pro.

2. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

It depends on your usage of the computer, and the specs of both computers. If the mb have more ram than the mbp, than the mb will perform better on most tasks other than graphic intensive ones.
    Also, how much do you value portability? The 17'' is quite a bit bigger and heavier than the mb.

3. Mac-Lover thread starter macrumors newbie

They are both un-upgraded from their standard specs so both have 1GB RAM but if a do get the MBP I will probably max it out to 2GB...
    Portability isnt a major issue either..

4. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

What's a ridiculous price if you don't mind asking ? & will you be getting shot of the MB or keeping both ?

5. Mac-Lover thread starter macrumors newbie

Well about $650...thats what it would be converted from South African Rand..I would prefer to get rid of my macbook and rather just keep the pro...

6. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

That is a well good price,just had a scout around on ebay and the cheapest one with those specs was £800 ( UK )

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

What I really dislike about this deal is the 2 GB limit on the early Core Duo MBPs (if I remember correctly). Or my memory deceives me and that 2 GB limit only applied to the MacBooks.

Personally, I'd rather have your C2D 2 GHz Blackbook. It's faster and better for most things. I have the same laptop in white, and it's fast. I can't imagine owning a Core Duo again (I previously had a Core Duo MacBook).

8. marioblackman23 macrumors member

Doesn't this sound like a scam to anyone else, are you meeting this person locally or sending money to them via western union?

9. Mac-Lover thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope..its a perfectly legit deal.. its actually a demo from a local computer store..wish it was a Core2 it would make the decision a whole lot easier..

10. macffooky macrumors regular

The big advantage of the MBP over the MB is the dedicated GPU. Are you intending to do any gaming ?