Macbook vs. Pro (aesthetically)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by wingfaith, May 18, 2011.

1. wingfaith macrumors newbie

I've been lurking around the forum for awhile now, I've read many threads about why the pro is more superior to the original macbook in terms of specs and design wise. A lot of you even mentioned that it's pointless to get the macbook because of the little price difference when you can get a better laptop with greater specs and performance. But is there anyone here that would buy the macbook simply because you like the looks of it better? I know it's based on personal preference, but i just want to know what everyone thinks of the macbook's appearance when compared to the pros.

2. ' r i S e n macrumors regular

I'm not really sure if I would purchase on looks - that's not necessarily smart although it does happen.

When I was purchasing my notebook I extensively compared the MacBook to the MacBook Pro. Until the 2011 MacBook Pro models hit, the only thing that separated the MacBook and the MacBook Pro (2010 models; assuming the MacBook being purchased with 4GB RAM) was a $100 difference in the MacBook's favor. This basically meant that you would be paying $100 extra for an aluminum body to help with heat transfer as well as a backlit keyboard, among other small differences. To some, that was worth it - including me.

With the specs now, though - I mean, on paper they look much better on the MacBook Pro's end as opposed to the MacBook. However, this necessarily isn't a bad thing. Assuming you are purchasing from Apple directly, the MacBook is $999.00 of course and if you are comfortable with 2GB of RAM, then that's just fine - and that would be a reason to purchase that over the MacBook Pro, etc. These prices and upgrades are assuming that you purchase from Apple.

There are many arguments that can be made and it can go back and forth - but it all comes down to what you, as the owner of the laptop, needs out of it.

3. jesterscourt macrumors regular

Aesthetically the MBP looks slicker than the MB. Backlight keyboard, brushed aluminum, that iconic logo that lights up with the backlight on the screen...

If you are really jumping between the two, look for a MicroCenter, some are still running the 13" MBP for $200s off (now the 13" MBP and 13" MB are the same cost, makes it a really easy decision)

4. vistadude macrumors 65816

I got the MacBook over to pro cause I think it looks better. The ac adaptor and iPod cables match the white better, and the grey metal on the pro looks like any other grey laptop.

Microcenter often has $200 off both laptops so the price for either can be quite good. Right now the specs for the MacBook are grossly outdated but it should refresh at the end of the year.

5. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Here's something most people overlook when comparing the MacBook to a MBP: The MacBook does not have any bumper pads on the bottom. Those little black things that stick out a bit to protect the bottom of the laptop from the surface you're placing it on.

Most of the latest model MacBook's I've seen have terrible scratches, ect., on the bottom, obviously due to this problem. Of course you could always buy third-party, attachable bumpers.

---
    Sent from my second generation, tabular Apple product

6. LucyP, May 20, 2011
    Last edited: May 20, 2011

LucyP macrumors newbie

I bought the MacBook because I wanted the white polycarbonate body. I do prefer the look of it, but more importantly, I dislike the feel of the aluminium body. I had an MBA but it set my teeth on edge when I brush over the surface, so I sold it. I guess thats a typically female response and not a 'smart' reason but to me Macs are all about the design first, the specs second. :)

I forgot to say I had an iBook way back and I really missed it. I kind of wish there was a 15" white MacBook but I guess thats not going to happen.

7. alexf9075 macrumors newbie

My girlfriend got her first MB for a number of reasons, but one of them was aesthetics. She loves the look of the MB compared to the pro and bought one over the Pro because she much prefers the design.

We both have 2010 MBs and love them, and crucially for her, it matches her other new toy ;) :

[​IMG]

I also love the apple logo in that light blue illuminated when Im using it, and it looks a lot more fresh than the Pro imo

8. LucyP macrumors newbie

Blue illuminated? I bought my MB just this last week but the Apple isn't blue?

9. alexf9075 macrumors newbie

my mistake, looks blue in certain lights but looking at it now its white :eek:

10. wingfaith thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the replies guys, generally the trend i'm seeing is that girls usually prefer mb and guys usually prefer pros. I know i'm generalizing but 90% of the time i see mbp are guys.

11. alexf9075 macrumors newbie

I think you are right there to an extent, but Im male and have had my Macbook since January this year because I was so impressed with my girlfriend's MB. I also really like the white unibody design but most of my friends have either got the MBP or the earlier Macbook that was aluminium (2008s I think).

Would like to know if any other blokes out there have MBs or if its just me :eek::p

12. Mobius 1 macrumors 6502

Performance > Looks

always go this way unless you're a dumbass

13. kalsta macrumors 68000

kalsta

I much prefer the look of the MBP. To me it looks far more sophisticated than all that white plastic. My daughter told me the white MacBooks at school tend to look pretty grubby too after a while, but I guess that can be overcome by not letting hundreds of grubby pawed children use it each day!

The aluminium isn't actually brushed — thankfully! I'm not sure what the proper term for the finish is.

14. alexf9075 macrumors newbie

yes but if you only use your mac for web browsing, itunes, iphoto, keynote, pages, mail and skype, you don't need a MBP.

Whereas I use mine for games etc which is generally more intensive, so in theory, I should have got a MBP, but my 2gb 2010 MB has never let me down on an intensive task.

Sometimes MBP's are simply not needed

15. vistadude macrumors 65816

Then you wouldn't get a Mac in the first place!

16. LucyP macrumors newbie

Bought the last MacBook....Yay!!

then Ill admit to being "a dumbass" but I actually feel quite smug now!

17. altecXP macrumors 65816

Actually it should be: needs > everything else is just a bonus

If it was: performance > looks, no one would have a Mac at all.

18. akhbhaat macrumors regular

(Quoted post above is old, I know).

Macs are nice to look at, true, but I actually bought one because they come with screens, keyboards and track pads (in particular) that don't suck, and batteries that can survive more than two or three hours of casual use. That's far more than I can say for about 98% of the other notebooks on the market. A fair number come with at least one of those features, but the few that have all of them are really just as expensive as the MBP and still lack OS X and the general aesthetic polish that characterizes Apple products.

If my laptop is to be an effective mobile supplement to my desktop, then it has to be A.) truly mobile (i.e. minimal weight and acceptable battery life!) and B.) conducive to an efficient workflow. My MBP is the first laptop I've ever used that I actually enjoy working on. I seldom even carry a mouse (or even a charger) with it, and that's saying something...

19. DJLC macrumors 6502a

DJLC

The white MacBook is pretty when it's new. After four years, it's obvious that I should've gotten a Pro. Despite regular cleaning and babying, my palm rest is cracked all to hell (replaced by Apple 4x) and its shiny white exterior has a few mystery stains that I just can't get off.

20. ThomasBoss macrumors regular

The white MacBook was not ugly, it looked like most other laptops in my opinion. I much prefer the look of the Pro. I don't need a MacBook Pro, the MacBook would of been able to do everything for me, I chose the MB over the Pro because it was on sale for a great price and it was worth it for a better (and prettier) computer :D

21. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

When I had a white MacBook, the only thing that worked for me removing discoloration on the lid was using Colgate whitening toothpaste and gently (but vigorously) swirling a bit with my fingers on problem areas. I am VERY picky about the appearance of my hardware, so trust me, this works- you'll be surprised.

Wait, what? First you accuse the white MacBook of looking like every other computer and claiming you prefer the look of the Pro, then you claim that the MacBook is better and prettier. Which is it?

22. Lara F macrumors 6502a

I guess never fully adjusting to the trackpad (still primarily use a notebook mouse) must have had its benefits, because I've never had cracks on the palm rests like so many other MB owners.

Mystery smudges yes (will have to try the toothpaste idea!) But to be fair a MBP would likely have obvious scratches after four years...

23. handel30 macrumors member

Love at first sight

I went to the apple store intending to buy a pro, but whitey stole my heart. I don't much like the exterior, but when it's open I just go nuts looking at the keyboard area. Love it. I couldn't give a hoot about iX. Core2Duo is good enough for me. I'm glad I bought a white one before they stopped selling them.

24. tubalores macrumors member

tubalores

LOVE the macbook

I have loved macbooks for years, so when it was time to get rid of my broken down Dell, I knew I wanted the white macbook. At the time, the only difference bw the pro and the white unibody was the aluminum and backlit keyboard...and money. As a high school English teacher, my needs are completely met by the regular macbook, which was most important, but I do love the looks of it compared to the pro which is a bonus.

Happy I got one before it was discontinued!!