MacBook vs rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by drewaz, May 21, 2016.

1. drewaz macrumors regular

I'm thinking about replacing my 4 year old Air and have been looking at the entry level MB and rMBP. Both are the same price. I mainly use a laptop for web browsing, e-mail and occasional word processing. I don't need much storage and like the 13" screen on the Air. It might be difficult to go down to a 12" screen.

So, if you bought the entry level MB I'm curious why you chose it over the entry level rMBP.

Thanks for the help.

2. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

The keyboard feel may be a big factor too.. You might want to try it out.
    The size is not that much, esp as it's a diagonal measurement - it's a shame the picture has a border around it.

I like both, either would be good.

3. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

You won't need the pro for your usage. The only reason to get a pro would be if the redesign (if it happens soon) is significantly different and maybe has the look and screen size you desire.

I went from a 2006 15" MBP to a 2011 11" MBA. The screen size change was odd at first but everything else about the machine shined and I got over the difference quickly. I found myself taking my MBA everywhere with the portability. For my usage, which is similar to yours, it made sense.

I was telling someone in another forum that I took a trip to Best Buy and compared the current 11" air to the new rMB side by side. Loved everything about the rMB. The pros were at the table over, and I took a look at them but they are not as portable as the rMB or the airs for that matter.

So, coming from someone who downgraded the screen by 4", I don't think 1" will be much of a deal breaker. Also, consider how much better the retina screen is compared to the older MBA.

4. drewaz thread starter macrumors regular

--- Post Merged, May 21, 2016 ---
    thanks for your thoughts
    I think I'd go with the MB over the rMBP but I'm just not sure about the smaller screen. 13" seems good but I'm sure you are right that the difference wouldn't be a problem. I have a 27" iMac for everything else.

5. han_del macrumors newbie

han_del

I thought I wanted a rMB until I actually visited the store today and typed on one. If you plan on writing a lot with it, I would go with the rMBP. I had read complaints that the rMB made people's fingertips hurt, and today I saw why. The keys are fine for casual typing, but if you're planning to do a lot of writing I'd say no way. It looked like a great little laptop to travel with, but that's about it.

6. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

I came from a 13" rMBP. I was purely looking for portability as I carry a lot in my bag. This definitely was what I was wanting regarding size. Thin, light, works great regarding the tasks I throw at it.

A quick try of the keyboard in the store when your used to typing on the MBP keyboard is not going to give you the true experience. It does take some getting used to. Your used to typing on a keyboard with more travel going to a keyboard with half that travel. Your muscle memory will have you typing as if your typing on the MBP and then you get used to it. I also never had any issues with the screen size. You will love the retina. Good luck with your decision, if you don't need to decide, hold off to see if they announce any MBP design changes.

7. izzyfanto macrumors regular

izzyfanto

I disagree. I type a lot and this is my favorite keyboard of all the MB I've owned. I also use for everything I used my MBA for and it is great.
    I completely agree. Also, for typist who use a light touch already (like me) this keyboard feels way more precise and responsive than the mushy chiklet keys of past.

8. Impstoker macrumors newbie

The new keyboard on rMB is the best ever!
    I have typed on tons of external windows keyboards, cheap ones, expensive ones, I have typed on iBook keyboards, MacBook Pro keyboards and on various Apple external Keyboards and I can seriously say that the keyboard on my rMB is the best I have ever used. It took me 10 minutes to get used to and now I am faster and more accurate than ever when typing. It feels sturdy and more secure (less wobbly) and you can keep your hands more still on one spot and just let your fingers type away. When going back to an older MacBook keyboard the key's feel broken and I feel like it is moving all over the place.
    You can't really get a feel for this in the Apple Store unfortunately I think. I absolutely LOVE it.

9. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

The smaller screen size is really made up for by the higher resolution. You can set the rMB to use the same resolution as your 13" Air, and everything should actually be more legible because it's so much sharper.

10. drewaz thread starter macrumors regular

11. izzyfanto macrumors regular

izzyfanto

None. It is passively cooled, so the bottom aluminum is where the heat dissipation happens. Putting plastic overtop is adding another layer the heat has to go through.

On a personal preference level, I think hard cases are a bad idea for the following reasons:
    1. Ugly
    2. Traps dirt
    3. Doesn't really protect against shock from drops like a true padded case would

12. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Agreed. A hard case is pretty much guaranteed to damage the device it is 'protecting.'

13. drewjonn macrumors regular

If you can get used to the 12" rMB keyboard, then definitely go for it, looking at your needs, I believe that it is more than capable. Stunning design, great portability, and no fan noise for you.

Another conundrum might be the fact that you need an adaptor if you use the USB-3.

IMHO, you can never go wrong with the 13" rMBP.

14. drewaz thread starter macrumors regular

I picked up a MP yesterday and so far so good. I think I'll get used to the smaller screen but the retina is a huge leap from the MBA. The keyboard was a little strange at first but I'm finding it easy to type on. The mat finish is really nice too ... space gray looks fine. Best of all, the battery is lasting all day and it's light and easy to carry around.

I did place it next to a 13" MBP ... the MBP seemed heavy and bulky ... not really what I'm looking for right now.

15. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

Glad to hear! I am on the verge of pulling the trigger. I found an open box in excellent condition at bestbuy, a 512 gb model too... but we'll see.

Glad to hear the battery is lasting all day, because like I have said elsewhere, my current air is horrid with battery life.

16. drewaz thread starter macrumors regular

why do you say that?
    I think the finish is likely to be scratched pretty easily without a case

17. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

I am helping my girlfriend sell her 13" MBP because with her needs she only uses an Ipad. She bought a hard case for it when she got the computer a few years back. I take detailed photos when selling something on CL as it tends to draw a lot of interest and my items sell quick. For my girlfriends 12" MBP that had a hard case, the entire MBP had SEVERAL nicks and scratches from trapped dirt over the years.

My advice, buy a sleeve for the rMB for travel. I bought an incase sleeve for my MBA and it works great when in my backpack.

18. izzyfanto macrumors regular

izzyfanto

I assume you meant to say 13" MBP. But yes, my point exactly about the hard cases trapping dirt. Kinda like a front end car bra.

19. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Because dirt gets trapped between case and device and scratches it to bits, also it will interfere with the passive cooling on the rMB, all in all hard cases for laptops are a waste of money.

Unless they are for waterproofing and solid protection in a harsh environment, at which point it's about water, and dust and security the case is twice the size and weight of the laptop and no one cares about a few scratches.