Macbook vs Sony.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Tuesdays, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Tuesdays macrumors newbie

Hey guys I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I am considering buying a Macbook but I'm not to sure whether I want to make the switch, after looking at customizable laptops I found a Sony to be around the same price as the Macbook white, I will show the specs of the Sony laptop. What I want to know is whether I will see any major changes in comparison to a Macbook such as Photoshop speed and the quality of the screen.

Configured
    • Intel® CoreTM i5-450M, 2.40GHz
    • 320 GB Serial ATA (5400 rpm)
    • 6 GB 1066MHz DDR3-SDRAM
    • 39.4 cm LCD, 1920x1080, webcam
    • ATI MobilityRadeon HD5650 1GB

2. Hankcah macrumors regular

IMO, you are paying for the Mac OS, not boring old Windows. The software (Photoshop) between the two prob wont be noticeable, but a few menus items will be. YES you can get 6GB RAM but you can either get 4 or 8, and if there was no 8GB RAM option via Apple, then that would be somewhat of a deal breaker, but it's not.

It's the look and feel of apple, an it's smooth OS. Also, there are less pop-ups and viruses than Windows. I don't think computers even come down to "hardware" specs anymore UNLESS you are gaming, and you wouldn't be having this dilemma.

Get the Apple, it def holds it's value more than any PC.

3. Tuesdays thread starter macrumors newbie

So if I were to buy a second hand early 2009 Macbook White 5,2 What would be the maximum amount of RAM I can upgrade it to?

4. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

6GB RAM
    http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Apple_MacBook/White/2.13GHz

The late 2009 and 2010 MB can do 8GB. The early 2009 is not a good deal since it has a much lower gamut monitor and is not backlit. I would look at the late 2009 model or current version and a place you can get a deal. 3 months ago I bought a new late 2009 MB at Microcenter.com for only $799. I just sold it for $750 and bought a 2010 MBP at Microcenter.com for only $999 - same price as a new MB. Find a deal

5. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

You seriously will never need 6GB of RAM based on the work you'll be doing on this machine. 4GB, maybe — but it's pretty cheap ad can always be upgraded later. The i5 processor is nice, but unless you're doing some REALLY high-end work, you will never be able to tell the difference in speed.