Macbook vs. VAIO reliability

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Macula, Dec 15, 2007.

?

Which of the two laptops has higher hardware reliability?

Poll closed Dec 30, 2007.
  1. Apple Macbook

18 vote(s)
    85.7%
  2. Sony Vaio

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  3. No difference between the two

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  1. Macula macrumors 6502

Macula

My sister works for an international humanitarian organization and needs a small (<=14 inch LCD) laptop to take to a third-world country with virtually no service & support resources.

Therefore, HARDWARE RELIABILITY is for her the TOP priority.

How does the Macbook fare in that respect compared to SONY VAIO models?

Are there any statistics around?

Thank you for your feedback.

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I've had four Vaio laptops (all high-end). All four cost a bomb and all four died an early death. The MacBook is a rugged little beast, but not as light or as thin as the best Vaios.

3. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I'll say this once:

if she wants reliability, she should get a Thinkpad. Not a Macbook. Not a Vaio. Good luck with the rest of the thread.

4. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

well counting out hardware reliability what about general rugedness...

Dont get more rugged than the toughbook!

5. mpw Guest

Panasonic Toughbook sounds perfect for her needs (shame about the OS), but between Vaio and Apple I'd be torn, every Apple notebook I've had, three, have had serious problems. The two Vaios never faltered, but Apple wouldn't let me load OSX, **n**.

6. twitter macrumors member

i know a guy that had a Panasonic Toughbook and after a month the hd
    broke and it took forever to get it fixed

7. lil'homunculus macrumors regular

lil'homunculus

i'm with this opinion. if i was out in the field, i'd want a machine that is guaranteed to withstand a 4 foot drop, then i'd put unbuntu on it. Man, mac can be so stubborn!
    You'd think they'd figure this proprietary crap out already. Or is this the 'really big announcement' coming out in January, could you imagine??? Put a Leopard on your PC. I think i just peed myself with the possibility of that!:eek:

8. mpw Guest

I know somebody who had three MacBook Pros in a row that were faulty out of the box, my MacBook was faulty on purchase.

Read some of the testimonials of Panasonic Toughbooks and I'm sure you'll agree they're generally f***ing tough, much moreso than anything from Sony or Apple.

Component failure is possible from any manufacturer, but in light of the conditions this user sounds like she'll be using it I still say the Toughbook would be the best option.

9. PDE macrumors 68020

Agreed! Thinkpads have in my experience been extremely rugged and reliable, the kind of machines you can grab, throw in your bag and never think about whether they'll get damaged. Tanks!

10. DJJONES macrumors 6502

Vaios are awesome and MacBooks are great too .
    No laptop is free of hardware defects. I would say macbook they look aweigh for woman.

11. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

I'd go Macbook. Been through bike wrecks with mine and it never missed a beat.

12. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Of course your gonna get the answer MB here,go ask in a windows forum bet the answers Vaio,a Thinkpad is what the OP needs

13. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

14. BoostFab macrumors newbie

we have a fleet of 60 toughbooks CF series here at work, are being used on the field atleast 8 hours daily, construction environment is pretty rough. unless it was ran over, it was rated for withstand 90 drops to the pavement.

but if just want a durable & slick laptop, Apple & Thinkpad got my vote. I never like Sony that much due to the failing more in my track record. parts and hinges falls apart after 2 years of use let alone paint chipping.

15. Skystar macrumors 6502

I would also vote toughbook/thinkpad. Since most laptops share the same common hardware components internally, those components are just as likely to fail no matter what notebook model. It's how those components are protected from the elements and environment that make a difference in hardware reliability.