Macbook vs Vaio VGN-TT190?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Bokes, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Bokes macrumors 6502

Other than the OS-
    how does the Vaio VGN-TT190 compare to the new Macbook?
    The vaio is a bit smaller lighter, better screen rez, and has a blu ray burner.
    but it is a 1.4 vs the Mac 2.4 and it costs more.
    For those that have used both- is the Vaio a decent choice over the mac?

2. strikeinsilence macrumors 6502

Those notebooks cater to different markets completely. The Vaio is much slower than the Macbook, over $1000 more expensive, and has a downsized keyboard. This is all obviously because it is meant to be a lightweight super-portable while the Macbook is not. You probably wouldn't want it as your only computer, that display could get claustrophobic quickly.

3. Mjmar macrumors 65816

MacBook would be my choice... It's decently portable, and much faster than the Sony.

4. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Anytime one is buying a computer it is important to know some of the following:

How much portability do you need?

What are you doing with the laptop?

What programs are you using and how often?

How often do you replace computers?

Because with these two laptops it sounds like there may be some major differences...let us know what you are going to want to do with it over the next several years and you will get better info I think.

5. strikeinsilence macrumors 6502

The only reason to buy the Vaio would be if you're always on the go. An 11.1 in display isn't too pleasant unless it's necessary.

6. Bokes thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for replies so far.
    I currently work off a Mac pro (video editing) by day.
    I am looking for a decent laptop to hang out with on the sofa, train commute, etc. I would use it with itunes, web surf and writing.
    I am also looking to burn blu ray discs.
    I would love to keep it all Mac, but this little vaio just looks like such a good bang around- web surfer.
    I don't feel good about going vista- but for what I want to use it for- I don't think it will matter.
    Will I be able to tap into my airport network on the vaio?

7. strikeinsilence macrumors 6502

Personally, I wouldn't go Vista just because I love the Mac OS. Why not get a BluRay drive for your Mac Pro, that would make a lot more sense. Plus, I don't see the point of having a BluRay drive on a notebook with an 11 inch screen (WTF?). I have a feeling they put that drive in just to show that they could.

If you'll just be surfing the web, why not pick up the 1.67 GHz Powerbook 12" or a Macbook Air? Would save you a lot of money and you wouldn't have to hop between OSes

Yep, no problem

8. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I would say given this info it sounds like the MacBook (I assume you meant to rec. the MacBook and not a PowerBook?) or MacBook Air would be your best bet. Can you just burn your things on your pro instead like suggested above? I agree that the bluRay is overkill and just Sony trying to get as many BR players out there that they can.

9. strikeinsilence macrumors 6502

No, I said Powerbook on purpose, it's a great lower budget option. They can be had for under $600, and if he's just surfing the internet and word processing then it's already more than enough. Save money on your couch computer and pour it into the BluRay drive and more RAM for your Mac Pro.

10. eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

The TT is not Sony's competitor to the Macbook. Check out the Sony Vaio Z. It's a 13 inch widescreen with switchable discreet graphics, an available 1600x900 LCD screen, and weighs less than the Macbook. The screen is unbelievable.

11. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I figure you did, but it seemed odd that you would rec. either a powerbook or MacBook Air in the same sentence...clearly a $999 macbook would be a nice alternative that would probably give the OP an OS similar in speed to the MacPro.