Macbook w/ Cinema Display or MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by walker1410, Mar 19, 2009.

1. walker1410 macrumors newbie

Hi, as I am going off to boarding school next year I am in search of a new computer. I am currently using a 17" Core Duo Macbook Pro. I am considering replacing this computer with something more portable. The two options I am considering are: a 2.4Ghz MacBook with a 24" Cinema Display or a 15" 2.66Ghz MacBook Pro. With my student discount they end up costing about the same. This computer will be used primarily for Aperture/PS CS3 photo editing and, of course, the usual word processing, email and music. My thinking behind the MacBook with the external display was to capitalize on the MacBook's portability without loosing out on the resolution needed for Aperture and PS. What are your thoughts?

-Walker

2. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

None of the apps you intend to use take advantage of the better GPU which is in the Pro model and you will get far better colour accuracy and resolution from the Cinema Display than you ever will from a MacBook Pro 15".

I say go for the 2.0GHz MacBook and get the LED Cinema Display too. That way you have a computer which is more portable, but aren't restricted when you return home.

The 2.4GHz MacBook is overpriced and is a waste of money. The 2.4GHz model is only marginally faster yet it is much more expensive.

Both MacBooks will easily outperform your old Pro in terms of CPU power.

3. tgelston macrumors newbie

I agree

For exactly this reason!

4. walker1410 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses. Any cases for the MBP?