Macbook w/External Display....feel like a iMac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fikeies, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Fikeies macrumors newbie

I just bought an iMac 27" and unfortunately have to send it back for a replacement. This event has me thinking though.....I spend 90% of my time at my desk but, would like to have the portability aspects of a laptop, so am thinking going Macbook Pro i7 with the 27" cinema display, wireless mouse & keyboard. Will this setup "feel" like I'm working from an iMac or are there things that are different.

Thanks in advance!

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I have a MBP and the 23" ACD with the wireless keyboard and mouse
    I love the setup

I was able to bring my MBP to London with me (typing on it now)
    So it is portable, yet very functional at home with the ACD

I like the iMac, but I love the MBP with ACD setup

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Itll feel better 'cuz it's got an expresscard slot and it's innards are easy to get to. And when you feel like chillin out on the beach, MBP will be along for the ride.

4. deeesea macrumors 6502

I don't quite understand your question...both displays are @ 27 inches, and both machines run OSX. How will it not feel like you're working on an imac?

wtf?

5. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

I see what you're getting at. I have that setup and, yes, it feels pretty darn close. As long as you have a wireless mouse and keyboard and hide your cables under your desk it looks great. Check out my set up"

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1019281

6. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

If the OP bought an iMac i5/i7 it won't be the same "feel" if he uses a MBP i7. The iMac is a desktop class Quad Core with desktop class HDD and the graphics card is better on the iMac so performance will be significantly higher on the iMac. Just because it looks the same on screen doesn't mean it will perform the same.

7. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

I have the below MBP with a 23"ACD. Never had an iMac, but this serves my needs and I can take my MBP anywhere I need to go.

8. Retrostarscream macrumors member

Retrostarscream

HLdan is right. It won't be quite the same performance wise, but most applications won't require the use of a quad core. It really depends on what exactly you'll be doing really.

9. deeesea macrumors 6502

Fair enough, I didn't even bother ask to what the OP would be doing with their PC. and yeah, if OP's doing some intensive work, then yes there would be the difference.

I only looked at it based on my uses (which is mostly browsing and minimal photoshop and minor gaming) in which case it would've been mostly the same :).

10. deeesea macrumors 6502

11. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

I took the OP's post to mean the experience with the actual physical components of the ACD and MPB rather than the performance and power of the processor and GPU.

OP...is that what you meant?:confused:

12. Discaciate macrumors member

Discaciate

+ for keeping the notebook as a "desktop".
    Does away with all the sync and stuff.
    This is my recomendation for it:
    http://hengedocks.com/
    (too bad they only have the 13'in for now).

13. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Gotta agree here. I have a MB+monitor setup, and it is absolutely perfect for college (dual screens are a sexy thing when working with spreadsheets). However if it would be doing a lot of desktop-class work, then you want the iMac, no question. If money is not an object and you want portability, pick up an iPad while you're at it. Now, I'm not saying that the MBPs are weak, but they simply aren't as potent as the iMac.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I don't know what kind of feel you're looking for, but the i5 and i7 iMacs are faster than the MacBook Pros.

If you want the set up looks, then you can put you MacBook Pro on the side and then connect a keyboard, mouse, and the display to it. I guess there would be keyboard and mouse to connect if you are using the Bluetooth devices.