Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Waffle Stomping

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2009
I got a question for you guys. I'm saving up for a new mac notebook. It will replace my 3 year old 15.4 inch Dell E1505 in about September. It's on it's last leg but I think it will last a few more months.

I'm deciding between The unibody 2.4 Macbook and buying an external monitor (probably Samsung or HP) or the Macbook Pro with out one. I will be going to collage in about a year so the portability of the Macbook would help, but I wouldn't believe that the Pro would make that much of a bigger footprint. My dell only has a 128mb ATI Radeon X1300 and for the occasional games (Sim City 4) it runs fine.

I will be going to collage for computer science but I believe either one of these machines will do me just fine.

Thanks a lot guys.

Nasty Roo

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2009
WA
And if you're going to attend "collage", you should probably learn how to spell it first. :)

All jokes aside, get the MB and external. That way you'll have the feel of a desktop back in your dorm room, yet still be able to take your comp to class. The 13.3" is perfect IMO for lugging back and forth to class.

Waffle Stomping

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2009
And if you're going to attend "collage", you should probably learn how to spell it first. :)

Hopefully Apple will come up with a iSpellBad device before next year.

I think I will be going with the Macbook and the monitor. Gives me the best of both worlds.

Thanks guys

kvasir

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2007
While we're at it, it would be "iSpellBadly" because bad would be an adjective and badly would be an adverb which modifies the verb "spell."

Another vote for the MacBook and the external. The refurbished deals are great and if you don't need Firewire or the ExpressCard slot, the MacBook is a fantastic machine. I'm not impressed with the MacBook's screen, but $1299 for the refurb MB + 2-300 for a nice external monitor + extra cash for programs, external drives, HD upgrade/memory upgrade trumps the $1699 refurb price for the MBP.

zer0tails

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Canada
Hopefully Apple will come up with a iSpellBad device before next year.

I think I will be going with the Macbook and the monitor. Gives me the best of both worlds.

Thanks guys

I second your decision. The macbook + monitor will be the perfect blend of portability + instant desktop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.