MacBook w/ Matte Screen?

coachingguy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Anyone wanna take a shot at the likelyhood of Apple updating the Macbook and giving the Macbook the same option of Matte Screen or Glossy?

I spent about a half an hour playing with both the black and white Macbook at a local Apple Store this past weekend. I was VERY aware of the overhead lights glistening off of the screens the whole time. I had to really play with the angle to get rid of that.

I find it annoying and since I do some digital photography I'm concerned about real colors. I've seen some other postings here about the photo concerns.

I hope Apple doesn't just allow that as a "Pro" option.

On a separate note, the Apple guy I was chatting with commented that they are selling more of the blackbook, but people have been coming back unhappy with the quick dulling of the trackpad and palm rest; which happened to be very evident on all of the display machines. Anyone with a blackbook notice this?

Coachingguy
 

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
1,518
0
coachingguy said:
Anyone wanna take a shot at the likelyhood of Apple updating the Macbook and giving the Macbook the same option of Matte Screen or Glossy?

I spent about a half an hour playing with both the black and white Macbook at a local Apple Store this past weekend. I was VERY aware of the overhead lights glistening off of the screens the whole time. I had to really play with the angle to get rid of that.

I find it annoying and since I do some digital photography I'm concerned about real colors. I've seen some other postings here about the photo concerns.

I hope Apple doesn't just allow that as a "Pro" option.

On a separate note, the Apple guy I was chatting with commented that they are selling more of the blackbook, but people have been coming back unhappy with the quick dulling of the trackpad and palm rest; which happened to be very evident on all of the display machines. Anyone with a blackbook notice this?

Coachingguy
I ran a poll on this a couple days ago. Its really up in the air as to whether or not apple will offer the macbook screen in matt. I agree with you on the glare, it is noticeable, and its annoying. I suppose its good if your retarded and attracted to shiny objects. But as far as useability, blah. Ill take matt over gloss any day. Ill be in my cave...
 

skipsandwichdx

macrumors regular
May 23, 2006
106
0
It (glossy screen) would probably be more of a problem in a brightly-lit Apple Store than at work/home.
 

calculus

Guest
Dec 12, 2005
4,510
4
CaptainCaveMann said:
I suppose its good if your retarded and attracted to shiny objects.
Well I like the glossy screen. If you are going to call people 'retarded' at least learn the difference between 'your' and 'you're'!
 

timnosenzo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2004
889
0
ct, us
CaptainCaveMann said:
I suppose its good if your retarded and attracted to shiny objects. But as far as useability, blah. Ill take matt over gloss any day. Ill be in my cave...
LOL

I agree, I think glossy is WAY overrated. The matte screen on my MBP kicks ass...
 

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
2,158
0
Indianapolis, IN
CaptainCaveMann said:
I ran a poll on this a couple days ago. Its really up in the air as to whether or not apple will offer the macbook screen in matt. I agree with you on the glare, it is noticeable, and its annoying. I suppose its good if your retarded and attracted to shiny objects. But as far as useability, blah. Ill take matt over gloss any day. Ill be in my cave...
Wow that's pretty funny. You're calling people retarded because of a personal preference, but you can't spell "matte" or "you're". Go ahead and stay in your cave.
 

coachingguy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
I teach in a classroom with bright flourescent lights and the glare off of the glossy screen would drive me insane. As Apple appears to be all about the options these days IE: Black or White Macbooks, multi-hued iPods, Glossy or Matte screens on their Macbook pros etc...

Come on Apple share the love, give those who love the options and price of the Macbook one more option, especially if the pricing is the same as it appears to be via the Macbook pro line.

The more I think about the Blackbook... I thought I'd love it and have to have it (I loved my Pismo very much :) ), but after seeing it, not so much. Especially with a nearly $200 premium on it that is basically just for the color. I can get the White (which is a better white than the iBook IMHO) for less.

Coachingguy
 

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
1,866
0
coachingguy said:
I teach in a classroom with bright flourescent lights and the glare off of the glossy screen would drive me insane. As Apple appears to be all about the options these days IE: Black or White Macbooks, multi-hued iPods, Glossy or Matte screens on their Macbook pros etc...

Come on Apple share the love
a teacher surely should be able to differentiate between IE and i.e.

i'm sure it has been mentioned before, but just to reiterate

IE stands for Internet Explorer, if you are too mac headed, it's the web browser made by Microsoft

i.e. stands for id est, in english: "that is" which is i blieve what you meant
 

eyemacg5

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2006
405
0
Derbyshire, England
Glossy Screen

On my mums toshiba laptop, which im using now, it has a glossy screen and I am sat next to a window and the glare is horrible, macbooks would be great without a glossy screen




-jake
 

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
1,518
0
mrogers said:
Wow that's pretty funny. You're calling people retarded because of a personal preference, but you can't spell "matte" or "you're". Go ahead and stay in your cave.
Yes i know how to spell. Was that YOUR question? :p Relax its all in good fun. I wasnt calling everyone who likes the gloss screen retarded. I was just making a fun point. Chill out and dont take it so personal.
 

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
1,518
0
calculus said:
Well I like the glossy screen. If you are going to call people 'retarded' at least learn the difference between 'your' and 'you're'!
I know the difference, and considering i got an A on my 100 page thesis paper in college, i think i know how to spell. You telling me to learn the difference between your and you're is about as "useless as a hole in the head". But hey, thanks for the great advice. Ill make sure i remember that lesson when im writing my next research paper in grad school. By the way professor Calculus have you ever written a 100 page paper?
 

skipsandwichdx

macrumors regular
May 23, 2006
106
0
CaptainCaveMann said:
I know the difference, and considering i got an A on my 100 page thesis paper in college, i think i know how to spell. You telling me to learn the difference between your and you're is about as "useless as a hole in the head". But hey, thanks for the great advice. Ill make sure i remember that lesson when im writing my next research paper in grad school. By the way professor Calculus have you ever written a 100 page paper?
I'm reasonably sure no one cares.
 

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
1,866
0
CaptainCaveMann said:
I know the difference, and considering i got an A on my 100 page thesis paper in college, i think i know how to spell. You telling me to learn the difference between your and you're is about as "useless as a hole in the head". But hey, thanks for the great advice. Ill make sure i remember that lesson when im writing my next research paper in grad school. By the way professor Calculus have you ever written a 100 page paper?
is an "A" in a 100 page paper the ONLY thing you can be proud of in your life? gosh, get a life.

as if that's not sad enough, you have to stick that in MR as if we should all bow down to that... pathetic

and you still have the face to say you know the difference when you clearly spelled it wrong... i mean, it's not even like you hit the key beside the one you intended, "you're" is too far away from "your" on a keyboard.
 

coachingguy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
bearbo said:
a teacher surely should be able to differentiate between IE and i.e.

i'm sure it has been mentioned before, but just to reiterate

IE stands for Internet Explorer, if you are too mac headed, it's the web browser made by Microsoft

i.e. stands for id est, in english: "that is" which is i blieve what you meant
Sometimes we forget how much free time some people have... IE: the aforementioned quote. I could argue that IE has not always stood for Internet Explorer unless you're totally Windoze headed. I could also argue that outside of the computer world, IE and i.e. have the same cannotation. In addition, not all people who teach in classrooms are English teachers there are other subjects that do not require specialization in the grammar of the English language.

this is from dictionary.com

WordNet - Cite This Source
I.E.

ie adv : that is to say; in other words [syn: i.e., id est, that is]

WordNet ® 2.0, © 2003 Princeton University

Have a great day!

Coachingguy
 

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
1,866
0
coachingguy said:
Sometimes we forget how much free time some people have... IE: the aforementioned quote. I could argue that IE has not always stood for Internet Explorer unless you're totally Windoze headed. I could also argue that outside of the computer world, IE and i.e. have the same cannotation. In addition, not all people who teach in classrooms are English teachers there are other subjects that do not require specialization in the grammar of the English language.

this is from dictionary.com

WordNet - Cite This Source
I.E.

ie adv : that is to say; in other words [syn: i.e., id est, that is]

WordNet ® 2.0, © 2003 Princeton University

Have a great day!

Coachingguy
are you telling me proper spelling is equivalent to specialization in the grammar of the English Language? I dare ask, what subject do you teach? if the american secondary educators are all like yourself, no wonder our secondary education isn't as good as other countries.

and teacher doesn't have unbiased respect (i.e. Windoze)? tsk tsk

it's connotation, not cannotation... safari has a spell checker, use it.

sO, dOeS tHiS lOoK cOmForTaBlE tO y0u?

i use too much sarcasms.
edit :D yes, typo, at least i dont proclaim to have an A in 100 pg paper, nor do i use the excuse that i dont specialize in english language
 

Mac'Mo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
589
0
NYC
is the glossy that bad with the glare? i think i've seen it and the glare isn't that bad.
 

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
1,855
10
An octopus's garden
CaptainCaveMann said:
I know the difference, and considering i got an A on my 100 page thesis paper in college, i think i know how to spell. You telling me to learn the difference between your and you're is about as "useless as a hole in the head". But hey, thanks for the great advice. Ill make sure i remember that lesson when im writing my next research paper in grad school. By the way professor Calculus have you ever written a 100 page paper?
I don't understand how writing 100 pages for a thesis can in any way imply that you can spell? Have you ever seen those kids at spelling Bee competitions who can spell unusual latin words but have never written a 100 page paper?

yt
 

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
5,701
287
Chicago, IL
Cybergypsy said:
Guy's Please Stop... I really love the glossy screen any chance the Apple will add them to the reast of the line?????
Like they'll listen to anyone. Grammar on the Internet is terrible, and it's about time that some people get called out on it.

I hate the glossy screens. They've got such a terrible glare on them. It's like using a CRT monitor...
 

coachingguy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
I must say, that certainly was fun.:D I've watched these grammar/spelling feeding frenzies from afar for many years. This was my first time actually being a part of one. I could have just left it alone...but no, I had to jump in.;)

As for the Matte/Glossy screen debate, lets just leave it that some prefer the Glossy, some prefer the Matte and others just want the choice.

Have a Great Daye...J/K :)

Coachingguy