MacBook w/ Mini-DVI to DVI Adapter to VGA?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by SeanEE89, Mar 15, 2008.

1. SeanEE89 macrumors regular

I bought a Mini-DVI to DVI adapter and I was wondering if I would be able to attach a DVI to VGA converter so I could also hook it up to a VGA port?

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

See if it works, otherwise get the Mini DVI to VGA adapter.

3. SeanEE89 thread starter macrumors regular

I am trying to get it to work and it is detecting my Dell 20" Widescreen monitor although it is not connecting that or I am just missing something haha

4. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

Another way apply makes money out of you :(
    See how the DVI adapter doesn't have 4 pins above + below the flat pin? Those four pins are used to analogue, but Apple decided to remove them, meaning you have to buy the VGA adapter as well.
    I was in the same boat as you, but was forced to buy both. I used a Mini DVI -> VGA -> DVI setup. My monitor was detected, but it wouldn't work. I had to buy a DVI adapter, and that solved the problem.

Why con us of yet more money Apple?! We all love you, so why not be nice back?

5. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Are you sure?

The way you tried, mini-DVI -> VGA -> DVI doesn't do anything because VGA -> DVI won't make it a digital connection, it will just make it work with DVI ports of monitors. So, if I plugged a DVI -> VGA connector into the back of my computer, and then plugged a VGA -> DVI connector into that, it would be using an analog signal.

It does sound plausible that it wouldn't work, but I know for a fact your way would never work.

I have my MacBook using mini-DVI -> VGA adapter and it looks fantastic - I use Windows with DVI and Mac with VGA, and because of the font smoothing options OS X offers, VGA looks great.