Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oats

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
New York
immediately when waking up from sleep, my macbook does the usual optical drive spinning noise, but then about 2 seconds of static on the speakers of the macbook.

you might not notice it in a loud room. every time, the same static pattern. even if it was asleep for only 10 seconds. the static sound sounds like it comes from the speakers, and it does not matter where the volume is set, the static sounds still happen immediately after wakeup. interestingly, if i have headphones plugged in, the static sound does NOT happen on either the headphones or the built-in speakers.

after about 2-3 seconds, the static goes away for good, until it the next wake-up from sleep event.

i did notice this thread, but no real answer there:
https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=3975067

i was just going to ignore it, since it doesn't seem to be a real big problem... but THEN over the holidays, my computer refused to wake up from sleep. it was somehow stuck in sleep mode. brought into the apple store, they tried resetting the PRAM, removing the battery, a bunch of stuff, and eventually determined i needed a new firmware board, which they replaced. i am glad it was under apple care still.

but now i am worried, what if this static noise is the sign of an electrical problem on the firmware board, and will this board eventually go bad again?

my macbook is the 1st gen intel macbook, about 1 year old... do the newer ones also have this problem? i have recorded the sound, and could upload it in case anyone wants to hear it.

thefunkymunky

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
London
I have a similar problem on my first-gen MBP. I can hear a static noise from the left speaker when cold booting and waking from sleep. Doesn't happen all the time though.

Naj

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2008
i have a simlar problem with my mb, damn annoying when it does- but is mostly intermittent

masterjedi747

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2007
immediately when waking up from sleep, my macbook does the usual optical drive spinning noise, but then about 2 seconds of static on the speakers of the macbook.

the static sound sounds like it comes from the speakers, and it does not matter where the volume is set, the static sounds still happen immediately after wakeup.

after about 2-3 seconds, the static goes away for good, until it the next wake-up from sleep event.

my macbook is the 1st gen intel macbook, about 1 year old...

Add me to the list of people having this issue. To be fair, my computer hasn't yet entered into a "coma" and refused to wake up (and I pray that it doesn't come to that)... but I am having the brief static discharge on wake-up (and on wake-up only... maybe start-up too, but I haven't checked).

I've spent the past few weeks looking around for any way to fix this (including that other thread you posted a link to), and have yet to find anything that works...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.