Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eagles58

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2010
I have a late 2008 Aluminum body macbook that they discontinued because it was basically the same as the pro only 200 dollars cheaper :).

The problem I'm having is that the computer won't stay asleep. I can shut the lid and it will sleep for a few seconds and then the apple lights up and the hard drive makes noises. it will then go back to sleep, and then fire back up and repeat. I also tried using the sleep feature in the apple menu and left the lid open. This also fires the computer back up. Also, when I shut the computer down- lid closed or open, It turns itself on after a few seconds. I tried resetting the SMC using this guide that the Apple care # automated system gave me: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964
(of course this WOULD be the only apple product i dont have apple care on)

This is not a HUGE deal, but it is nonetheless annoying, and I've only had this for two years, so I'm not ready to replace. The waking is understandably obliterating my battery life.

I did notice one way to get the computer to STAY shut down. If i shut down the computer and then hurry and take the battery out and put the battery back in, it will stay shut down. BUT i shouldnt have to do this every time just in order to save battery.

HELP!

eagles58

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2010
... meaning you tried all the suggestions in that article?

Sorry, i overlooked the article at first. I went through the article and paid special attention to look over the main causes of sleep problems at the bottom. Still, my computer is an insomniac. :( Thanks for the reference though. Other ideas?

xlene

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2010
I am having the same issue! My Macbook Pro will not sleep. When I close the lid, it sleeps then wakes up from sleep, over and over. When I shut it down, it'll turn back ON by itself. It won't stay shut down. But if I hold down the power button for about 5 seconds, it'll stay shut down. What causes this?:mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.