MacBook wakes repeatedly with USB 3.0 hub connected

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by verdi1987, Oct 7, 2013.

1. verdi1987 macrumors regular

Is anyone else have issues keeping his/her Mac asleep with a connected USB hub in 10.9 GM?

10.9 is cleanly installed (wiped the disk before installation), although I did transfer over system and user settings.

With a USB 3.0 hub connected to my Retina MBP, when I put the MBP to sleep (either from the Finder menu, by Control-Eject, or by pmset sleepnow), within 30 seconds it wakes, goes back to sleep, and wakes again. This process repeats every minute or so. The system.log is filled with "kernel: Wake reason: XHC1."

If I try to let the MBP sleep on its own according to the Energy Saver settings, it will not sleep. Only the displays sleep. (A Cinema Display is connected.)

Even with just the hub connected (no devices plugged into it), the MBP repeatedly wakes. Disconnecting the hub lets the MBP sleep without issue.

I have done a PRAM and SMC reset, reset Power Management settings, trashed com.apple.PowerManagement.plist, and tried various hibernatemode settings to no avail.

I reinstalled 10.8.5 to a separate partition on the same disk, and sleep functions normally.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Unfortunately, if the USB hub is causing issues then perhaps you can't use that. Is there a setting that lets you turn off the wake with other devices?

3. verdi1987 thread starter macrumors regular

As far as I know, you can only disable wake by Bluetooth devices, not USB devices.

The hub causes no issue with sleep in 10.8.5, so I know it is not the hub that is faulty.

4. merisi macrumors newbie

iMac27 waking every minute with USB 3 hub

Apparently have the same problem, Verdi.

Wake reason: XHC1
    etc. every minute in system log.

After upgrading to 10.9 recently, noticed this problem. I found a long thread or two with MacBook users reporting this problem, potentially caused by any of a dozen possible causes. Discovered the problem as I noticed the monitor was on in the mornings, after it had been put to sleep the eve before. It is a more noticeable problem with laptops not connected to a power supply. I haven't noticed similar problems on laptops, but no hubs attached there and haven't checked too closely.

My hub is the Satechi 10-Port USB 3.0 Hub apparently with GL3520 88PIN chipset. Not sure if the problem is in the hub or in OSX 10.9.

5. verdi1987 thread starter macrumors regular

It seemed to be a combination between that chipset and 10.9, as sleep was working fine in 10.8. I contacted Satechi; they claimed they could not reproduce the issue. However, they did offer me a free exchange with the 7-port USB 3.0 hub. With 10.9, the Mac slept fine with that hub, so I assume it uses a different chipset.