MacBook wakes up when lid is closed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by davyvfr, Mar 10, 2013.

1. davyvfr macrumors regular

Hello,

I have a MacBook Pro and I recently noticed it will wake up when the lid is closed (The white light is no longer pulsating) I recently installed caffeine but it has been disabled. I have tried a PRAM and SMC reset. No bluetooth devices are connected or USB devices

2. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Do you have anything plugged into the USB? Any Bluetooth or other devices trying to communicate with it?

3. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Is it plugged in charging? I find this happens to mine if I close it while it's charging, no idea why though, been meaning to find a fix but not got around to it.

4. davyvfr thread starter macrumors regular

No, its not charging. I might have to do a complete reinstall of OSX. Hopefully, its not the logic board failing.

5. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

It's far more likely to be some sort of software bug. Try repairing the permissions and rebooting. Make sure all updates are installed.

Does this happen every time you put it to sleep or only sometimes? What do your power settings look like?

6. davyvfr thread starter macrumors regular

I have repaired the permissions and restarted. Bluetooth is off too. This happens every single time. Its not intermittent. Power Settings are default

7. davyvfr thread starter macrumors regular

Also, I think I might have posted my problem incorrectly.

My MacBook Pro WILL go to sleep when the lid is closed if it was previously on. However, if it was open and I told it go to sleep, then I close the lid, it will wake up.

8. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

I'm pretty sure my old early 2008 MBP did the same thing. Is it a new development for your system? Will it go back to sleep shortly after the lid is closed, and is it staying suspended when you close the lid or suspend it manually?

9. davyvfr thread starter macrumors regular

I don't think I quite understand your post, what do you mean by new development? It is a 2012 13" MacBook Pro Mid 2012. My MacBook Pro will not go back to sleep when I close the lid, it will stay awake.

10. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Just did some googling for you, found this. See if that helps any.

11. davyvfr, Mar 10, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2013

davyvfr thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I compared it to another MacBook Pro 2011 13" and it doesn't have the problem I have. I am beginning to wonder if its the sensor, but it could be a re-install might help. Wow, I wished I would have purchased AppleCare, I might just do that right now.

UPDATE: I think I found something interesting. My MacBook WILL go back to sleep after two seconds of being "waked" up with the lid closed. I think I still might take it in to have them check the sensor and I have another problem with Spotlight not finding any of my files when searching. Should I be concerned with the sleep issue? I have recently installed 100GB of games recently from the MacApp store so it might bog down my computer.

12. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

To clarify, what I meant was whether this is something that the computer has always done, or if this is a new behavior that the computer was not doing previously.

13. davyvfr thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply. This is something my MacBook Pro has just done recently (as in two days ago). I ran Onyx to see if it would fix any issues but that didn't do anything. I am taking it to a Genius tomorrow.

14. hackerwayne macrumors 6502a

hackerwayne

Sounds like the lid sensor under the HDD is failing. Suggest you to bring it back to Apple to have it checked out. All MBPs has a magnetic sensor that detects the screens magnet and put it into sleep

15. davyvfr thread starter macrumors regular

I might do this. I was told by my local Apple Store they would book an appointment for 30 minutes to try to resolve my issue. Can't believe I visited a Genius Bar 3 times in one week.

----------

I thought it might help if I explain my problems in detail:

The story starts when I call AppleCare about my MacBook Pro problems. I was out of warranty so it makes sense they would refuse service. The gentleman on the phone offered suggestions so I took his word for it to bring it to the Apple Store.

My MacBook Pro Mid 2012 was taken in for service to the Genius Bar four days ago with; a Shift key that fell off, Spotlight not indexing the hard drive, and my MacBook Pro waking up from sleep when the lid was closed. I signed off on service for repair, and within three days I got a call from a Genius stating they reinstalled OSX Mountain Lion (and replaced Shift Key) and that my sleep issues were caused by Caffeine, the third party app that keeps your Mac awake. I assumed this guy was right since he was a Genius, but I quickly found his solution was not a solution after all (which is to install no third party apps, which means don't install apps other than Apples)

I bring my MacBook home and guess what? Sleep issue is still there but there is another problem, iTunes no longer works (it crashes every single time) and my MacBook Pro is so SLOW that it can't even do simple task like opening Finder. SMC reset and PRAM reset didn't fix this.

I call my local Apple Store demanding to speak to the manager, and she offers her apologies and I tell the manager I am not going to wait 3-5 days to have my MacBook "fixed" again. So I also tell the manager that if an OSX restore is necessary, it would be done right there and then, not later. Funny enough, every Apple device I purchased from this store was defective in some way.

After being extremely angered, I call AppleCare (even though I am still out of warranty) and state I spoke to the manager and that she gave me permission to get free AppleCare service for this one time (which is not true). The lady on the phone got permission to help me and we ended up reinstalling the whole entire OSX, and my MacBook Pro is back up to speed. Fast and good to go. But one issue still persist, my Sleep/Wake issue. Is this caused by a third party app? NO, because I have reinstalled OSX and set up as a NEW Mac, nothing transferred.

I am confused as what to do now, should I go back to my Apple Store? AppleCare wont help me because it obviously isn't a software issue. My Sleep/Wake problem is as follows:

MacBook is on, lid open. I tell it to go to sleep, and it does (with lid still open). I close the lid, and guess what? The MacBook wakes up but then goes back to sleep after a minute. Why is it bad? Well, I don't want damage to data stored on my hard drive if I decide to move it right away.

16. emailsfh macrumors member

It seems your problem is that if you put the computer to sleep, it wakes up again briefly when you close the lid, right?

Try this. Go to terminal, type in: sudo pmset lidwake 0 (you will probably be asked to type in a password).

The default is 1, I believe, which is what controls whether the computer comes back on when the lid is opened or closed. Try turning that off and see what happens. There are many things that were messed up with pmset settings in a recent apple update.

You can see all the settings here: http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man1/pmset.1.html

To pull up your settings, you can type in: pmset -g custom