MacBook warranty expires in 2 days - should I fix stress crack?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PDE, Sep 5, 2007.

1. PDE macrumors 68020

My girlfriend's macbook's warranty is coming to an end. There is a tiny crack-like line underneath around the vent area - just like this :
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=296213&highlight=Macbook+cracks

It doesn't appear to be a real crack yet, but it's definitely some kind of stress line and it extends along the vent and a little bit up toward the hinge where it is even more faint.

Question: should I get this fixed under warranty or is it unlikely to develop into something much worse?

Any opinions? I hate going in to the apple store because they're arrogant and always try to get out of fixing things. Puts me in a bad mood.

This will the be the fourth repair of this computer - 1 LCD replacement, 1 batter replacement, 1 inverter replacement and now this. Great Apple quality.

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Buy applecare and if it gets worse, then try to get it replaced. Usually if you have a unit that has like 4 repairs, they'll end up replacing it.

3. bshelly macrumors newbie

Definitely invest in AppleCare. It is sooooo worth every penny.

4. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

5. cervaro macrumors regular

Would it be worth taking it to your local Apple store for their opinion?

6. PDE thread starter macrumors 68020

I have coverage through my VISA card so I am not worried about major problems. This is the kind of problem though that VISA might not cover because they could say that I abused the computer. I refuse to buy Applecare on a product that has needed three repairs int he first year. It's a principle that makes no sense rationally! I just will not give them more of my money when they've done such a poor job with this computer. It's like paying your plumber to come and fix the leaking pipes he recently installed - won't/can't do it!

I'm going to take it in and point out that this is the 4th time in a year. Maybe I'll get lucky.

thanks