Macbook warranty?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by suprnovaynwa, Feb 10, 2008.

1. suprnovaynwa macrumors member

suprnovaynwa

Hi.

I was looking to purchase a new white 2.2 macbook (with an education discount) for Uni this year.

But I have checked the prices, and even with an education discount, I can purchase one from the U.S cheaper. I live in Australia.

My question is, if I bought the Macbook from the U.S, and then brought it back to Australia, will I still have the warranty on it, or will it be void?

Also, is there any reason not to buy one from the States? IE. Different configurations for the U.S version and the AUS version?

Cheers.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The warranty will be fine since it's a portable computer. You'll need a different adaptor or some sort of converter to be able to charge it from our mains power though.

3. suprnovaynwa thread starter macrumors member

suprnovaynwa

Is it possible to use an Australian charger on it?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

5. bigbadnewill macrumors 6502

You should be fine using the charger that comes with the US one, you will just need one of those plug-converters, which will alter the pins so that they can plug into an AUS socket...make sense? :D

Enjoy the MB, i just bought a 2nd hand US one from a member on here, worked out a lot cheaper :D

BUT, i was speaknig to an apple man the other day online, asking the very same question you are...about warranty. The one year they come with is worldwide, and then apparently the other extra 2 years are country specific (so he told me)

I was told that i'd have to buy full apple care for it to be worldwide coverage. YOu can still get a discount of Applecare as a student, but it was quite a hefty price tag!

6. suprnovaynwa thread starter macrumors member

suprnovaynwa

Yeah well I was thinking maybe I should buy AppleCare towards the end of the 1st year of warranty here in Australia. So I presume if AppleCare was bought locally, it would cover the warrantly in AUS.

If after the first year there aren't any issues with the macbook then there shouldn't be any major problems thereafter, I would assume. So then I wouldn't need to spend so much on extended warranty which I probably won't need.

And also, I know that I can use a plug-adaptor for the charger, but I think that buying a local charger would be easier - particularly if I want to sell it to someone down here.

Thanks for your help, guys!

7. bigbadnewill macrumors 6502

Yeah, thats true, buying an AUS one would make it easier.

However, all macbook chargers use the same charger, just the cable which comes from it to the wall is different. You might just be able to buy this seperate cable for far cheaper as it disconnects from the charger unit dead easy?!

As for your applecare, i think thats a good way! Also as many people mention, you can usualy buy applecare on ebay for far cheaper than Apple if you decide to after the 1st year.