macbook warranty

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by madhoney, Sep 20, 2008.

1. madhoney macrumors newbie

advice needed

my macbook's warranty expired in May 2008 (after 1 yr of purchasing the item) is it possible to renew this warranty now? or I should have done it before it expired?

thanks.

2. *Sandy* macrumors 6502

too late to worry about it now:(

3. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

Dude you're late! You've got to ask these things faster!!!!!!:rolleyes:

4. rwoolsey macrumors member

rwoolsey

I recently wrestled with this option not too long ago. My machine's run great and never once have I had to contact Apple Care. Therefore, I elected to save some money and NOT extend the warranty.

Why sink money into an old machine when new MBP & MB are on the horizon?

5. *Sandy* macrumors 6502

you can get apple care as low as 129.00 on ebay, I just bought one, if you are keeping it. stupid if you don't for that cheap.

6. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Ebay is a great place for things like that. I wouldn't buy an expensive computer from there (personal choice), but I have bought many other things. Always buy from a person with good ratings. I just bought MobileMe for $40 which included shipping about 3 weeks ago. That was cheap even for ebay. Most of time it goes for $60-70.

7. *Sandy* macrumors 6502

I sold mine there for 49.00 as I never was going to use it:(

8. christiemp macrumors regular

christiemp

How do the ebay sellers sell apple care for so cheap?!?

9. dinostars macrumors member

Because if something goes wrong with your computer in the next two years and it need to be replaced, it'll be replaced with a new Macbook.

10. rwoolsey macrumors member

rwoolsey

Yea, after its third and/on fourth trip to Apple Care. Be sure to let me know how that works out for you.

11. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

Did you purchase your MacBook with a major credit card? Because, if so, that may effectively double the manufacturer's warranty. I know with AmEx it does (and I thought most Visa and Master Card's as well). It won't allow you to purchase AppleCare at this point, but will give you another year (or, at this point, 8 months) of security.

You should also look into what may be covered under your renter's or home owner's insurance.

I never buy AppleCare. I make major electronic purchases with my AmEx card (which I pay off immediately, of course), so that the manufacturer warranty is doubled. Typically, I don't keep a computer longer than 1.5-2 years...and if I do, it's highly unlikely that a manufacturing defect will manifest itself after two years. And my home owners insurance covers anything I may accidentally do to it (which is never covered by AppleCare).