Macbook was still on while in my bag

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sui.page, Jul 17, 2013.

1. sui.page macrumors member

I connect my macbook to an external monitor at work and leave it plugged in all day so that it doesn't go into standby mode when the screens down.

Anyways I'm not sure why but for some strange reason even after unplugging it and putting in it's case and in my bag it remained on for my trip home which is about 2 hours.

Upon taking it out the fans were super loud and my lappy was really hot so I let it cool of for a bit. Lucky it's Winter here in Sydney or I think my laptop would've been gone. It's working now but I just wanted to know:

1. Why it didn't go into standby mode even if the screen was shut and it was unplugged.
    2. If I've caused any permanent damage to my lappy.

2. simsaladimbamba

3. sui.page thread starter macrumors member

I don't think it turned off though as the light was still one the fans were really loud. I had to turn it off by holding down the power button

4. gobigorange macrumors member

My previous MBP did this a few times, but I finally figured it out. If I put it to sleep and then unplugged my mouse it would awaken in its closed state. I'm not sure if something like that would apply here, but unplug your peripherals and then put it to sleep if possible.

5. sui.page thread starter macrumors member

I think you're right. I had a keyboard connected to it and I think I removed it after putting it to sleep. If that's the case I'll keep that in mind for next time cheers

6. scbond, Jul 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2013

scbond macrumors 6502

When you unplug it from the monitor open the laptop, let the screen come on and then shut it again and it'll go into it's normal sleep mode. If you just unplug the monitor and leave it closed it'll remain in the external monitor mode. That's just the way using an external monitor works. You shouldn't need the power plugged in either, though obviously for the whole day you'd want to.

7. sui.page thread starter macrumors member

This sounds like the right answer, I'll keep this in mind :)

8. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

He's saying that the MBP will shut off if it overheats. If it was still on then it didn't overheat and you're fine. The hardware has safeguards to prevent bursting into flames. ;)

9. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

In my experience this is only partially true.

When using a MacBook ___ while connected to an external display, it's AC adapter, external keyboard, external mouse/trackpad with it's display closed... If you just disconnect the external display you are right, it will not go to sleep, it will instead stay awake.

However, once you pull the MagSafe adapter it does go to sleep. I know this all to well for two reasons. One, every few days I will inadvertently knock the MagSafe adapter loose and have to wait several seconds before I can use my computer again. Two, I disconnect my MacBook Air and take it home from work every day. I usually log out (to the login screen), rarely shutdown and occasionally just yank the cables and go without actually stopping my work. I have yet to find the Mac still awake when I go to use it later or the next day.

In regards to the OP's questions...
    1. Some processes will wake the Mac. I'm coming up short on examples but I've had to troubleshoot many Macs over the years that would wake up from sleep with no user interaction. If you notice a pattern of this behavior I would create a new generic user account and use that for a few days to see if the issue disappears. If it persists I would try an archive & install of the OS and possibly an erase & install depending on the ease of restoring your important data. Hopefully it was a fluke (entirely possible) and it doesn't come to that. Theres also the possibility of a faulty sleep switch, though those seem to be more constant failures, rather than intermittent.
    2. There shouldn't be any real harm done. These machines are designed to shutdown before overheating. The fans running at full blast definitely make it sound like something is wrong but in reality they are just doing their job and keeping the Mac within it's tolerable temperature range. I wouldn't lose sleep over it.