Macbook water damage. Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Erko, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Erko macrumors member

So today after breakfast I opened up my Macbook to check messages and such and I noticed beads of water on the screen and keyboard. There weren't enough to sound an alarm in my head, so I shrugged it of thinking it was my brother, who somehow got some water splatter there. The screen wouldn't lit up though, so I thought the battery had gone empty. So I went on to plug my macbook and the charging indicator would't light. This got me worried, so I opened it up and there was a little water near the superdrive(the logic board seemed dry as far as I could tell. I dried it off and took the battery, display and superdrive off so I could see, if there was anymore water underneath. I didn't see any, but I put some dry rice where the superdrive sits and put the topcase into a plastic bag with some more rice in it.

TL;DR - noticed water in Macbook, put it in a bag with rice.

Anything else I could/should do? My main concern is the charging indicator not lighting up, is something fried in the circuit? I put the charger in a bag of rice as well, but I didn't have much rice so I have to get more.

I don't know how the water got there, but I suspect my brother spilled the water he keeps on his nightstand on my computer and this might have happened during the night also(we share a room and currently I keep my macbook on a stand between our beds).

2. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Get it the hell out of the rice, rice does nothing. Unless it gets inside the computer and mixes with the water, in which case it turns into very nasty **** that can ruin the board even worse.

3. Erko thread starter macrumors member

I thought putting your wet electronics in a bag of rice was the easiest way to absorb the moisture out of it.

Anyways, the good news is, the computer booted up and worked properly after it let it sit for a few days. The bad news is, it doesn't detect the magsafe adapter, so it wont charge nor it wont run on power from the plug. I tested the magsafe with a tester and it should work properly.

Is there anything else I can do (besides a new logic board) or should I go and look for a new computer?

4. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Try cleaning the motherboard, try a new DC-in board, and see what happens.

Rice turns into nasty **** when combined with water, and it ****s up the board badly.

5. Erko thread starter macrumors member

Any suggestions from where should I test my board and what kind of results should I get?
    Tested the pins right next to the battery - got 10-11 Volts
    Tested the magsafe pins on the computer(V+ and GND) - got 2,6 V(Iguess this should be higher?)
    Tested the magsafe adapter(V+ and GND) - got different results - 6,4V, 17V and 0,4V, but it is really difficult to get a proper reading from there.

Can I first test some things without having to dissassemble the logic board?