MacBook water damage-need for school-help!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by reeseoroni, Jun 16, 2011.

1. reeseoroni macrumors newbie

(am updating a post my mom left, cuz she is clueless) a few wks ago i spilled water on my MB 2007. I need this MB for school and am leaving in a few wks to start. well, my rents hav no $ for a new book, so i got a refurbed logic board. Looked up ifixit how to replace, simple but took a long time! after putting it back together (a few screws were missing, incl the ones around the heat sink - not sure why) - i tried to start up, but nothing. The power works - the battery charges up really well. my ram chips are new (i think they're 2Gigs, the HD is new, and now the logic bd is new to me. is there a way i can test to see if the logic bd works or did LapTop Aid send me a crap bord? i'm kinda knowlgble with macs. HELP! I spent my last $200 to fix this. ps i did take my MB into to mac auth repair, and they said it was the logic bd before i got the used one from laptop aid. THANKS THANKS THANKS.

pss is there other parts that could be broken from the water damage as why my MB won't power on?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It could be the RAM and hard drive. Depending on how much water you spilled on it, of course.

3. reeseoroni thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I had the original RAM chips and hard drive and replaced them, thinking maybe the new RAM and new hd was ruined. Still, no go.

4. JJ452 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

You better replace the screws around the heatsink or the CPU will cook quite quickly, I assume you replaced the thermal paste?

Do you have another laptop to test the ram and hard drive?

Also anything inside the case could be damaged from the water spill....

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

You'll probably find the cost of repair at Apple is probably more than a new MacBook. Water damage if not treated properly and with a fair amount of luck and patience is generally fatal to the electronics. Not much really to repair it's more a swap service.

Even a replacement motherboard needs to be handled with great care and sure it could be damaged but the only way to find out is to install it.