MacBook water damage

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MagicMacMan, Feb 28, 2010.

1. MagicMacMan macrumors newbie

Ok. I've got my Aunts white MacBook that her son spilled water on. She called me when it happened and of course I had her make sure it was powered off, the battery was removed, and had her turn it over and lay it open with books holding up the left and right edges. A week or so later it still was having issues booting/ Well. Obviously this voided the warranty. I opened it up and cleaned the motherboard with rubbing alcohol and a q-tip. There was some water residue on there. I hoped it was only the keyboard that was having an issue since it is a laptop, it wouldn't really boot if the power button or the keyboard in general wouldn't work. So I put in a new top plate and that still didnt make it work. Obviously the motherboard is next.. but like everyone, they don't have much money and replacing a motherboard is expensive. about 350 bucks. So are their any other things it could be? I want to be sure before I go and get a motherboard. I also tried a new HDD too just to be sure.

2. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

You can try the bag of rice trick, but I wouldn't hold out any hope on that

3. MagicMacMan thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha. It's dry and clean. Relatively sure it shorted the motherboard. But I wanna be super sure before I have them drop 350 bucks on it.

4. fluffyx macrumors 6502

If you have a new keyboard (top case), and you can't power on from the power adapter or a charged battery, then the main logic board is the only remaining component that could be causing trouble.

I'm not sure where you're getting a new logic board for $350, but that sounds like a rather good deal. (A refurbished logic board from Apple is $750.)

5. MagicMacMan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that. Looks like a good deal. it'll be about 380. That's 30 bucks cheaper and I don't have to do anything! Plus it has the warranty. I'll look into it.