Macbook Water Damaged. Hard Drive Survival?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kerihudson, Mar 9, 2008.

1. kerihudson macrumors newbie

Hey guys

I realise there are a million threads devoted to water damage, but i've not been able to come across the likelyhood of hard drive damage.

Long story short, my little sister knocked water over most of the right hand side of my blackbook keyboard. It was normal tap water, and probably about half to 2/3 of a glass went over. It shut down pretty instantly, so i disconnected it from the wall, wiped as much water off as i could, turned it upside-down and got the hairdryer on it for a few minutes.
    Contacted a local apple store, and they said to leave it in my airing cupboard overnight, and bring it in the next morning if it didn't switch on (which it didn't) so they could take a look at it. (Macbook is currently still with them).
    The mac guy there said the worst case scenario would be the logic board would be frazzled, but he said that the hard drive would most likely be okay.
    I'm a college student at the moment, and a big movie file had just exported from final cut at the time of the spillage - no chance to back up. Deadline is in a week, so i'm pretty panicky!
    I'm hoping he wasn't just being nice and trying to calm me down by saying that about the HD...so if anyone knows anything about how protected hard drives are inside macbooks (and the likelyhood of them being damaged through this type of keyboard-only spillage) it would be a big relief to know.

Sorry about the mini essay!
    Any replies will be greatly appreciated :)

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The Hard Drive will probably be OK as its a covered box, but no guarantees as it is under where the spillage occurred. You will be out several hundred dollars for the logic board though.

I would expect them to be able to check the HD pretty quickly though, as its easy to remove.

3. Kalafut macrumors regular

Kalafut

if that was my sister i would have her head in the toilet. or maybe the microwave.

4. Hoopdy macrumors 6502

You should have removed the hard drive immediately after knowing that water was spilt on it. Although the platter is in an enclosure the chances that water wouldn't seep in through a crack or crevice are very unlikely. My guess is that the hard drive is fine, but you really should have removed it right away.

5. kerihudson thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick replies

I wish i had removed the hard drive. Unfortunately i've never really found out where my hard drive was located inside my macbook - had no idea it was next to the ram/battery, or i would have pulled it out straight away.
    I was under the impression it was buried somewhere towards the centre of the laptop (no idea why ><), and i didn't really want to fiddle around incase of causing even more damage.
    Perhaps i should have read up on it sooner :(

Lol, as for the microwave comment...i'm weighing up my options :p