macbook weight

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by haoqfu, Jan 5, 2009.

1. haoqfu macrumors regular

guys,
    does any one of your feel the macbook alu is heavy or is it just me? i love surfing while sitting on my couch or lying in the bed while watching tv. and i found it's quite heavy after an hour or two of usage, not to mention it's burning my legs as well.

of course i'm comparing to macbook air. i thought the 1.5 lbs weight wouldn't make much difference. but having compared to macbook air, the weight difference is quite noticeable. maybe i just need more exercises...

2. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Yup. but obviously it feels heavy when compared to an air. for those that used to have a white macbook it feels a lot lighter

3. haoqfu thread starter macrumors regular

true, it indeed feels lighter than the macbook plastic. and so much slimmer too

i'm actually thinking of taking the optical drive out to make it 0.4lbs less. :D

4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

My 6 year old sister doesnt have a problem carrying it so i cant exactly say its heavy :cool:

5. SleepyHead157 macrumors regular

it definitely weighs less than the previous macbooks but still on the heavy side. i guess it's because I'm switching over from a macbook air

6. castanzarules macrumors member

Coming from a thick plastic HP/Compaq, it feels light! haha

It is very solid though. Dense maybe? I think the size:weight ratio is perfect. Any lighter and it may start to feel cheap/flimsy. Any heavier and it would just be excess weight.

7. Tinknock71 macrumors 6502

Tinknock71

I switched over from a 12" Powerbook and yes its a little heavier, but its not like the first lap-tops that weight about 15lbs:D

8. philosopherdog macrumors 6502

philosopherdog

Maybe get some weights and do a bit of training. I think it's pretty light. Besides wouldn't you fry your lap with the air? Runs pretty hot.

9. MacJenn macrumors regular

Not true at all. The new Air runs very cool.

10. Tinknock71 macrumors 6502

Tinknock71

Yeah, when its off!:D Please, you could make dinner on it!

11. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

I like its solid heavy feel.....its sheer quality......

12. haoqfu thread starter macrumors regular

not really, it's quite cool.i have used the air for 2 weeks before finally returning it due to the short battery life (i guess i got a defect battery). i even found macbook alu sometimes feels much hotter than the air.

13. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

That isn't true at all.

14. Loccy macrumors member

The Alu runs both cooler and is much lighter than the old WhiteBook I used to have.

Incidentally, as an aside (it's the comparisons with the Air that brought this comment on), I played with an Air for the first time recently and it struck me how flimsy they feel. I would be afraid of breaking one in my rucksack or bag! The Macbook Alu strikes a very good balance between performance, portability and build quality.

(Of course what I and I suspect many people want is a Mac with the spec, form factor and hardware of the Sony Vaio TZ, but unfortunately Apple won't take their head out of their arses long enough for that to happen. I was this > < close to buying one instead of the Alu Macbook and Hackintoshing it.)

15. ercanbas macrumors regular

I went from a Rev B Macbook Air with ssd to the new Alu Macbook and the only thing I miss is the ssd. If you have trouble lifting the Macbook you seriously need some time in the gym, not a lighter computer. Even coming from the Air I still find the Macbook very light. In fact, it is what made me switch. It is a perfect combination between portability and power and for the money spent on the Air, you can get a nice beefy 4gig 2.4ghz Macbook that is only slightly heavier but def just as sexy.

16. haoqfu thread starter macrumors regular

:D i don't have any problem lifting macbook alu though. but using it for excessive long time, 2-3 hours which is my average time of surfing before taking a break, i found it pretty heavy to hold. 3 things hold me back from getting an air, only 1 usb port and unacceptable battery life and the mono speaker.

17. California macrumors 68040

California

Uh, actually the Macbook unibody is 4.5 pounds while the 12" Powerbook was 4.6 lbs.

This figured into my switch from the smaller footprint on the 12" PB
    to the lighter but larger footprint on the MB aluminum.

It weighs less but is bigger.

18. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

I moved from a Lenovo X41 at about 3.25 lbs or so to the MB Alu @ 4.5lbs. When you throw in the power connector and the airline power adaptor the difference wasn't so much.

I was a little concerned getting the extra pound or so given that I do a lot of travel but it really hasn't been that big of a deal. I am considering an Air when the upgrade it next though.