MacBook Weird Superdrive Noise + Heat

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Doju, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Doju macrumors 68000

When I put my iLife 09 disc in my Alu MacBook it made the weirdest noise, every time. Does every one do that? It was as I pushed it in, it made a normal recognizing sound afterwards, but that noise was weird.

Oh, and when I had iTunes, iPhoto, Safari, Finder, and Word open the temperature was at 67 degrees celcius. Normal?

I have a couple slanted keys too, but I'll correct that tomorrow.

(Yes, just got today. :D!!!)

2. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

I'm pretty sure it is normal. But check others when you go back to the apple store just in case. (ask an employee to pop in a disc if they ask)

as for the temp, pretty sure that is fine as well..

congrats!:D:apple:

3. skorpien macrumors 68020

Yes, this is normal. It makes the noise as you insert the disc into the drive. I assume it's the drive seating the disc properly inside before it spins it up. It's a mechanical noise... It also makes a similar noise when ejecting the disc, right?

I think as well that different drives make different amounts of noise. The first Alu MB I had was a fair bit noisier when I placed a disc inside. The replacement I got for it is considerably more quiet.

If the noise concerns you though, plumbingandtech has the right idea. Take it with you to an Apple store and compare it with one of their models. And if it's not right, set up a Genius Bar appointment.

As for the temperature, that's normal. If your fan starts spinning higher than 2000 rpm, that's when you should start worrying (that is if you're not running a processor intensive task).

Congrats on your purchase!

4. Doju thread starter macrumors 68000

No Apple Store for seventeen hours. :(

Oh well, nothing big. Just installing iWork and iLife became a bit scary. But if it's the norm - cool. :D