Macbook : What do you think gives the best protection?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheBendingUnit, Nov 4, 2007.

1. TheBendingUnit macrumors newbie

Hi everyone..

I know that this has probably been discussed a lot in the past, but after reading several forums and threads on this forum, I am still not sure what's the best protection for my MB.

I will buy a white MB (my first mac btw :cool: )and my first concern is protection against scratches on the cover and against yellowing of the wrist area and touchpad.

Marware, Iskin, radtech, shieldzone, speck, moshi,.. several less known ebay protecion packs (MacSKN, Palmplus, Macmate,...),....
    there's too much... there for this new thread.

What are your experiences?
    What do you people think gives me the best protection for my new MB?
    Does anyone of you have any experience with the ebay protection packs I mentioned?

All opinions, tips and help are welcome!

thanks a lot:)

2. amrk47 macrumors regular

it wont go yellow
    it will scratch easily though, just touch it with your finger lol
    get invisible shield

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I have a second skin for my Macbook that's done pretty well.

4. TheBendingUnit thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your answer.. little question:
    do you have the remove the second skin (I guess it's the Tucano, right?) when plugging in devices or inserting a dvd? Or can you always keep it around the MB (so are there openings in the skin?)

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You have to take it off fully to use the computer, it just protects it when its in your bag/not in use.

6. TheBendingUnit thread starter macrumors newbie

and how about the keyboard/palmrest? Someone in an other forum told me this :

"Yellowing is no longer an issue. Your sweaty hands is though... You need to get a decent keyboard/ palmrest protector and all will be good with the white MacBook."

is this really such a big issue?

you know I'm seriously considering a blackbook :D

lots of reviews talk about "installation woes". Got experience with that?

7. amrk47 macrumors regular

installation of what?

some1 post a link for this "2nd skin" i never heard of this

8. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

I'm using a Moshi codex 13 se and it is AMAZING. However, if aesthetics aren't a priority to you, I can't recommend it due to its relatively high price.

If aesthetics are a priority to you, and you want great protection, you can't do better than the codex.

9. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

10. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

I am using the Tucano second skin (my personal review) as a sleeve whenever my macbook is in a backpack without a laptop compartment and have the invisible shield *full package applied .

11. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

12. blipstutter macrumors member

The speck clear hard shell cases can be tricky to get off. Not that this should be a deal breaker.

13. MOTU macrumors newbie

I have a memory foam case I got from ebay. Works pretty well. A bit thick, but I got it more for shock protection than scratch protection. Keep in mind that you can reduce the occurrence of scratches, but, eventually, it will get scratched. Probably sooner rather than later.

14. Xcolored macrumors member

I have a Speck hard casing and it works amazingly well. It's hard to take off, but you don't need to, it has all of the correct openings for ports / buttons / etc. I would definitely recommend.

Zack

15. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

For palm rest area....the best protection you can get is the Moshi palmguard. I just got one for my blackbook and I think it is the best purchase I have made for my computer...

http://www.aevoe.com/moshi/palmguard.htm

To protect the outside of the computer, I have the standard incase neoprene...and IMO its better than the Tucano variety, because it is thicker, and much more firm.

16. jeremy6044 macrumors regular

why would you need one for a blackbook? doesn't that (the palmrest) not get discolored anyway?

17. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

is that still a problem with the new macbooks

18. butterfly0fdoom macrumors 6502a

Dunno, but if it is, it only happens to white ones.

19. athanacius macrumors member

Where do people buy their accessories from?

Also, why are they so damn expensive? I have had many laptops over the year, never bothered keeping any accessories to prevent 'discoloration', 'smudges', 'scratches', etc. Apple seems to be a company whose maintenance is as high as any other gadget company around.

This seems to a trend they are in favor of, and I am sure it will come back to bite them big time. Look at the car companies nowadays. As and when money gets more respect, people will understand that the amount they spend in accessories over a 3 year period is nearly 40-60% of the original cost of the laptop.

This is INSANE!!!

20. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

Man, don't I know it! I have to buy **** to clean my apartment. Not only that, I have to buy furniture to fill it! This is absurd. I demand someone do something about this immediately.

21. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Really? I've heard a lot more good than bad. And most of what few bad things I have heard I visualize Zoolander playing with the Mac in the movie, meaning some of the people having issues appear... well, that incompitent. Not saying that it's true, I've heard enough good than bad to make me want to get one.

Plus, my co-worker has had one for what seems like forever on his 3 personal macbooks (2 macbook and 1 pro) and he got our company to buy one for his work macbook pro. Personal testimony from long time users of the products can go a long way.

I just ordered 2 (different colors) for the wife tonight.

22. TheBendingUnit thread starter macrumors newbie

I was talking about invisible shield

23. vm7118 macrumors regular

applepeelz.com (better than moshi... its clear and uses a wet application for cleaner results :p) and a tom bihn brain cell for when you are on the go.

i got this combo for myself, and it's been working out so well i've recommended it to anyone i know.

the brain cell from tom bihn btw is the best "sleeve" type protection you can get for a laptop. they make it in customizable perfectly-fitted sizes (you maybe have to buy a new one when you switch laptops since the fit is so perfect). also, it has the standard padding on the inside, as good as or better than anyone else, with a corrugated hard layer on the outside to offer outstanding shock protection. top it all off with a heavy-duty velcro like flap on top so there is absolutely no chance of a zipper messing with your laptop. not that i really need to worry about that with the applepeelz :)