Macbook, What External Display?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jstad, Apr 29, 2008.

1. jstad macrumors regular

jstad

I want to get an external display for my macbook. I want something quality and large enough to be comparable to my 24" iMac. I do not care if its glossy or not just something that will work well enough and won't be grainy. Any recommendations?

2. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

23" Apple Cinema display. I love mine! =D Also I dont know what "grainy" look people are talking about? I know that all S-IPS LCD panels has a sparkly look (that I actually like) and people call that grainy.

3. Holmes89 macrumors regular

Holmes89

I'm planning on purchasing a Dell Monitor, I've heard great things about their monitors. I listen to a lot of Podcasts and read a lot of tech articles and people like Patrick Norton (I don't know if that means anything to anyone) really says that Dell monitors are even better than apple cinema display, and he heavily endorses Apple Computer

4. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Another vote for the 23" ACD! It works perfectly with the MacBook.

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

You can go with just about any display you want, but remember to have the appropriate adapter for your mini-DVI port. :cool:

6. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

24" Dell or 23" ACD are pretty much the standard. Shop around for Dell coupons to get the display cheaper or jump on ebay

7. GeneKam macrumors regular

I personally prefer the 22 or 24 inch hp monitors, as the macbook, using insomnia, can just go right in betweek the stand and display. I love that setup and it looks amazing too, the contrast is awsome between black and white!

8. jstad thread starter macrumors regular

jstad

I used to own a Dell 2007WFP LCD (20" Widescreen) and it wasnt anything to write home about, sure it was better than the bargin but overall was not impressed. The ACD's are just too dang expensive to justify the cost for them when you compare to others on the market. Anything else outside of these brands? Have Dell's really improved any in the last year or two?

9. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I also heard Samsung is another good brand to look out for. Then again HP or LG might be a better option since Samsung Laptop LCDs tend to be subpar

10. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Why do you need Insomnia? The MacBook can run fine with the lid closed, just need a keyboard/mouse plugged in or the wireless ones with "allow bluetooth devices to wake this machine" turned on.

11. GeneKam macrumors regular

hmm never knew that, i go insomnia before i got my monitor to download torrents with screen not getting dusty! And kinda stayed with it after i got the monitor, so i never knew that it would work without it!

But what if the person has blutooth keyboard and mouse, would that stil work?

12. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

apple cinema displays are way too expensive even the 20" is $600, i usually dont mind paying apple prices because they make great products but when it comes to RAM and displays they go overboard. so i just got a dell 20" widescreen for 1/3 of the price and it looks great.