MacBook - when should I buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JDee, May 12, 2009.

  1. JDee macrumors 6502a

    Aug 31, 2008
    Hi guys,

    I know you are getting a lot of these questions... but I want a serious answer.

    According to this rumor -

    ... the MacBooks will move to Nehalem in November.

    1. Is Nehalem much better?
    2. I am looking to get a free iPod with the higher education discount. Should I just go for it and forget about Nehalem?
    3. Anyone reccomend the higher 2.4GHz model for the backlit light?

    I need to know if there will be a big improvement with Nehalem and Core 2 Duo.

    Do you think I should just go ahead and purchase in September?
  2. stridemat Moderator


    Staff Member

    Apr 2, 2008
    Gut instinct would say if you can wait the extra two months then wait for the nehalem processors as I think they are meant to consume less power and produce less heat while being slightly faster.

    But I see from your signature that you already have an ipod so you could sell your new/old one and that would more that make up for the difference in processor. Also the new processor's might not be released in November so you might have to wait longer.

    mmmm difficult one

    Sorry I can't be of more help.:confused:
  3. miles01110 macrumors Core


    Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    Honestly, how would any of us know? Odds are it's not going to make a difference to basically anyone at the low end of the consumer spectrum. Just wait and see if they update it soon. If they do, great. If not, don't miss the back-to-school promotion.
  4. Liam8 macrumors 6502


    Mar 15, 2009
    Everyone is going to tell you to wait to buy it, but only you know how much you want or need it... I received my new MacBook Unibody yesterday and I love it. It is very fast and has good speakers... I don't know what you do but if I were you I would buy it now... there are minor speed differences between 2.4GHz and 2.0GHz...

Share This Page