Macbook: Which memory should I get?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by SloopJohnB, May 16, 2009.

1. SloopJohnB macrumors newbie

Hi people!

I have a whitebook nvidia and I wanna give its RAM a little boost. I'm considering getting 4GB of DDR2 800MHZ RAM. The problem is, which brand and memory should I get? I'm divided between kingston KVR800D2S5/2G and kingston KVR800D2S6/2G. I guess the KVR800D2S5/2G has a better latency because of the number '5' instead of '6' like the other. However, if you check newegg.com you'll see that KVR800D2S6/2G has actually better reviews from buyers than KVR800D2S5/2G... So, which one should I get??

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Both will work fine. Chances are, you'll never notice the difference between CAS 5 and 6 latency..

3. RDM3 macrumors regular

I just upgraded my 13.3 MacBook's Ram, I bought it from newegg.com paid $45 shipped and got 2x2 This was the 4gb memory kit Mac Approved item KTA-MB667K2/4G

It went in perfect and works perfect, never had an issue.

4. relativist macrumors regular

Hold on, which Macbook do you have? If you have the nVidia one, make sure to get 800MHz RAM. With the Intel Macbook 667MHz is ok.

5. RDM3 macrumors regular

I am not sure if you meant which one do I have , nut mine has the Intel GMA X3100 in it. So if the poster has the nVidia then that would be different byt either way I'd say Kingston and newegg are a good choice

6. amabo macrumors member

Any sort of increase you notice / can detail about? I'm debating on whether or not it's worth it to drop $45 on RAM. If you could also link to the sticks you bought on Newegg, that would be great! I'm using a nVidia white macbook as well.

7. RDM3 macrumors regular

Just to be clear I have the Intel GMA X3100 graphics, but I didn't wait to long to bump my RAM up, I went from 1gb to 4gb, I am sure it runs smoother and faster overall. The sticks I got were a kit and Mac approved. This is a cheap way to enhance the performance for sure. I don't normally open too many windows, but the more you open and keep open the more you will see it work better, I use Photoshop Elements mainly.

8. relativist macrumors regular

I'm not asking you which MB you have, but the OP. It's to late for you anyway you bought the Ram already! :p No worries though, since it's the Intel Macbook you have the right Ram. Anyone with an nVidia white Macbook should get 800MHz Ram, as it's confirmed working.

9. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Technically, both are Intel Macbooks, just one has the nVidia powered chipset while the other is an Intel chipset.

10. leman macrumors 604

Wow, that is a bunch of misinformation....

For plastic MacBook, get DDR2 667 RAM

For alu MacBook, get DDR3 1066 RAM

As simple as that...