Macbook: Which resolution HDTV for external monitor?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dewey decibel, Nov 19, 2009.

1. dewey decibel macrumors member

I'm looking to buy a new TV, and wanted to get one that will work well with my mac. I'm really confused about resolution and what I need. I see a lot of people advising 1080p for use with computers. I have a Rev B Blackbook, which I believe supports 1920x1200 for external displays, but the built in screen is 1280x800. If I'm mirroring do I still want the higher resolution on the TV? I don't really understand how this stuff works.

I'm going to mostly be surfing the net, watching movies/videos, and working with Logic and Ableton with my mac through the TV if that matters.

Thanks!

2. dewey decibel thread starter macrumors member

Anybody? If tried several searches on this site and have got a lot of info, but not a clear answer.

3. Kyeris macrumors 6502

If you do mirroring, both resolutions need to be the same. Which means the TV will only take the MacBook's highest resolution (1280x800) - you don't want this, it looks hideous on a beautiful large monitor! People don't generally do this with casual two monitor setup.

If the BlackBook can handle 1080p (1900x1200) resolution, any TV with 1080p should work fine. Even if you ended up getting a TV with a higher resolution then your Mac could handle, it would just decrease the res to the point where it is compatible.

What size TV were you looking for?

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If you mirror, it will take the resolution of your MacBook and display in on both the monitors. Since you know your resolution, you would purchase a monitor around your needs and hardware.