Macbook whining only on OSX (Windows XP keeps quiet)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by carlos78, Oct 11, 2008.

1. carlos78 macrumors newbie

My Macbook (first generation, 2 Ghz Core Duo, 2Gb RAM) it has been giving me some troubles. Appearently it is normal that some of this generation computers had a whining in their processor due to energy resources management ( related to logic board ). What is even more frustrating is that as I had before a Powerbook 15 inches they also had the same whining problem and as this two computers are all the experience I had with apple I started to think that apple computers just whine. To make it more complicate I also had to change the keyboard because it had the famous stains ( white version ) and my battery has been one of the affected ones but due to the fact that is just over two years aI do not fit into the program of replacement.

This whining thing is only happening in OSX 10.5 and 10.4 but funny enough in Windows XP it is quite and smooth. It just gives me the impression that battery goes a bit faster and that it gets hotter.
    What do you guy advise me? Some software application? The guy of the shop just said - Yeah it is the logic board...call apple support
    Shall I just kick the computer out of the window? Get serious with apple support? or just buy a new computer and keep my Macbook for Win XP...?

My girlfriend bought a Black Macbook three months ago and it is working really good and not giving any problems of whine, stains, battery, etc Because of this and as bad it is going to be that the new macbooks are cheaper I am not inclined at all to be again the first generation (test generation...). So I have serious doubts about if buying a "new" macbook generation will be worth for anyone.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You should be able to get the upper case replaced for free even if you're not under warranty.