Macbook White 2.0 or 2.2? Plus, FedEx?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Luzzio, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Luzzio macrumors regular

Luzzio

Hello, I've been lurking around this forum for half a year, and am finally getting my own Macbook. From what I've read, the Blackbook's higher price adds on very little (only 40gb to harddisk), besides the premium color of black.

So I'm sort of torn between the low end 2.0ghz 80gb w/ combo drive, or the 2.2ghz macbook with 120gb and super drive. The ability to write stuff into DVD isn't really that big of an issue for me, but is the 200mhz speed bump and extra 40gb of space worth the extra $200? I plan on using it for mainly writing, blogging and casual web surfing, but would probably do some light video editting too, for podcasts and the like.

I tried searching the forums for some detailed performance comparison but there wasn't any... just a sea of MBA threads.

I live in Malaysia (just above Singapore) , and the local dominating retailer here for Apple (www.machines.com.my) charges $150 more for macbooks. Plus there's no online Apple store. The family plans on getting an iMac as well, so we thought it might be worth asking a cousin in California to buy the imac and the macbook from an Apple store there, then shipping it together via fedex.

Does anyone think it's worth it? Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

And yay, my first post! :D

Edit: Found comparison chart at macworld, and the difference processing seems minimal...mere seconds for most applications.

2. aneftp macrumors 601

If you can afford it, get the 2.2GZ macbook with 120GB of Hard Drive space.

Problem with the 2.0GZ macbook isn't the processor or the combo drive, it's the small hard drive. I think when I first booted up my new Macbook 2.2 GZ, I had around 95GB of hard drive space left.

So if you have a 80 GB hard drive, than in reality you will have about 60 GB give or take. You install basic programs like Adobe Design Premium and Microsoft Office 2k8 like I did you you are quickly down 10GB (yes I know Adobe Design Premium takes up almost 6-7GB of space)

But you get my drift, you will be low on hard drive space quickly if you intend to store music/videos very quickly. Than you will have to buy a new hard drive (the prices are coming down) but with a new laptop you want it to last at least 1 year before you do any major upgrades (except RAM which I suggest you immediately buy at least 2GB of RAM or max out at 4GB since it's so cheap).

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Actually, just get the 2.0 and bump the drive up to 120GB or 160GB. I would've done the same, but couldn't afford to even do that at the time I got mine. The base machine is great, and if you don't need to burn DVD's, then don't worry about upgrading the machine itself, but tossing in that larger drive is well worth it.

jW

4. Luzzio thread starter macrumors regular

Luzzio

thanks for the replies!

I got my Macbook 2.0ghz locally last night. The 'genius' kept pushing for Applecare and their overpriced rams, but I prevailed.

Will go grab some rams and a bigger harddisk soon.

Loving :apple:!

5. kopesani macrumors newbie

6. jvette macrumors 6502

jvette

Buy the cheapest Macbook you can find and max out the ram from Macsales.com. Then purchase a 7200rpm 200gig hard drive from the same place. This can all be done for about $300 and you will have a great Macbook. I purchased a refurbished Macbook from Apple.com for $899