MacBook White 2.13 screen quality

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by pboy2k5, Jun 18, 2009.

1. pboy2k5 macrumors newbie

I wonder if anyone has a good insight about the type of the LCD screen used for the MacBook White 2.13 that Apple quietly released before the WWDC. I decided to compare the speed for the screen to light up (whether from power-on or sleep) and I am pretty amazed that it is as fast as the LED used in the MacBook CE or 15" Unibody MacBook Pro. In my opinion, it is close enough to have that instant-on feature usually associated with the LED screen.

The last time I purchased a MacBook was in mid 2006 (the very first MacBook that has that random shutdown syndrome) and I am pretty surprised with the advancement that the current MacBook has: the screen responses faster, the hard disk is pretty quiet and the fan barely spins when watching HD videos.

Thanks in advance for those who could give me a thorough detail about the MacBook screen.

2. morrisman1 macrumors 6502

The backlight still sucks, and is nothing compared to the LED backlight. Both come on instantly but the LED is brighter and has full brightness right from the moment it turns on. The CCFL backlight in the white macbook needs to 'warm up'

3. pboy2k5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nice,

At least I know how to test both machines by cranking the brightness to maximum and see whether they show any differences.

Thanks for the tip.

4. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

The backlight isn't a big deal. Whats a big deal is what they put in front of that backlight. Remember how much the unibody Macbooks screen sucked.

5. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

At least, before they upgraded it.

6. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

If they used a polarized TN panel on the white macbook the quality will be good. If its a a non polarized version like the previous generation unibody, then it will have washed out black levels and horrible gamma shift.

7. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Those LCDs are bright as **** already. I typically turn down any model macbook to 1-3 bars of brightness, since I hope to keep my eyesight for years to come.

8. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

So, what's your opinion on the screens on the first batch of unibody macbooks from late 2008, especially the 9c89's? I don't live in NYC, but what you charge to replace them with one of the newer models? I'm sure some people would like to know.

9. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

I'm working towards having my own glass manufactured before I do the newer models. People package the laptops they send me terribly, some with no bubblewrap or pellets just in 2 envelopes taped together. I know if I do that I will need to be able to replace the glass on the spot. I can't do anything with confidence until I have glass in stock. The junk on eBay is all plastic even if they call it glass, which while of no visible difference, is unacceptable if someone's going to pay.

I will definitely be offering that service. Once I do I will only use the B133EW04 V0 from AU Optronics. I might have a deal where if I get to keep your old, uncracked LG, I'll do it for the cost of a new panel and return shipping, and keep the used LG panels around as an option for people who have a cracked LCD and want a cheaper alternative to a new AU screen.

Those LGs are awful. I have never seen them side by side with the older Macbooks, that use the LG Philips LP133WX1(TL)(A1), AU Optronics B133EW01, and Samsung LTN133W1-L01 models. However I have seen the LG LP133WX2 (TL)(C5) side by side with one that used a newer LCD. The difference was instantly apparent. I am not a particular fan of LG Philips LCDs. Comparing the LP154WP2(TL)(A1) and (A2) on the 15.4" Macbook Pro model to the AU Optronics B154PW04 also reveals the superiority of the AU model.

It is interesting to note that for the aforementioned 15.4" LED models, due to weirdness in price fluctuations, the AU actually sells much cheaper than the LG. It used to cost more. Now it's the no brainer. I am happy to tell people I do not use the original LCD for that model, the AU trumps it in so many
    areas.

I also have the highest rate of dead pixels with LG than every other brand & model I buy put together, and they're supposedly "Grade A", which implies they were tested from the factory.

On the CCFL backlit 15.4" Macbooks, the LG is preferable to Samsung in some cases. I remember the Samsungs having the yellowish shade, like a nicotine sheen over the panel.

You really have to see these side by side to tell differences, playing the same thing, at the same brightness. 5 bars on one may not be as bright as 5 bars on the other, and taking pictures of LCDs to judge quality is as accurate as holding a cellphone in the air to judge hi-fi stereo equipment. You have to see it!

Also, one thing is for sure, in every aforementioned model, the default LCD brightness is blinding. It is not once you get used to it, but if you stare at it long enough to become used to it on regular email & forum stuff, you're damaging your eyes.

10. gligo macrumors newbie

Hello Mr. Rossmann,

Write from Slovenia, have a black Macbook 13" last generation with a 9C5B display, Suppose it is a Samsung. Picture quality is not good, so I wish to change it with better one. Is there some possibility to replace it with Au Optronics panel instead? And if yes, could I buy it from you?
    If there is no possibility to change it with Au, what is another option for better panel?
    Best regard
    gligo01@gmail.com

11. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

The black macbooks don't use LED LCDs.

To me, all three models put in it are equally unimpressive. I'd be happy to offer my service, but I'd feel as if I were ripping you off, since there isn't a significant difference. In the earlier 15.4" models Samsung had an issue where a lot of them were tinted yellowish, but I can't confirm that for the 13.3"

I don't feel it's worth it, it is not an upgrade as much as a sidegrade.

There's a simple way to tell which LCD you have, I never trust what the any hardware manager tells me(I can't see it with the screen cracked anyway :D). Rip the front bezel off. Look on the bottom right of the LCD. You will see two inverter board wires.

black and grey = Samsung LTN133W1-L01

yellow and pink = LG Philips LP133WX1(TL)(A1)

black and white(or pink and white, I forget since I've only seen this model in two macbooks) = AU Optronics B133EW01

I've never done a comparison between the 13" CCFL backlit model LCDs. For all I know, the B133EW01 is as bad as the others. I can't comment since I've never seen them side by side, sorry.

What I can say is that I have done this a ton of times. I've gotten one AU panel with dead pixels, 0 samsung models with dead pixels, and 3 LG models with dead pixels and a fourth one DOA, so one can draw from that conclusion where my preferences lie.

12. gligo macrumors newbie

Thank you for answering that and for your honesty...
    It is not that bad at all, what mostly bother me is color wash out, that is mostly visible in black movie scenes, where black at bottom washes out. When another panel did not suffer from that problem a upgrade, or sidegrade is worth for me...
    Have opportunity to buy a MbPro, previous generation, but there is known problem with a Gf 8600 issue. Is matte display there of much better quality?
    Regard

13. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Buy a previous generation Macbook Pro of A1226/A1260 model(the ones that use LED LCD screens) and put a AU Optronics B154PW04 LCD in it, and you will be amazed.

14. excommie macrumors regular

The screen is not that bad, I have one with the Samsung display and I'm pretty happy with it. It is a sub $1000 notebook that has wireless-n, decent webcam, firewire and the best OS on the market, with ability to run the 2nd best OS on the market (XP).

The best deal on this notebook is paying $749.00 for a refurb 2.0 Nvidia whitebook (it also supports the 800Mhz Ram, so the difference between 2.0 and the updated 2.13 is not that great).

15. gertruded macrumors regular

yes excommie, I purchased an early 2009 macbook refurb, and added 4 gigs of 800 memory, along with a 7200 320 gig HD. It is really fast. I could not be more satisfied.