Macbook White 2010 Mc516ll/a Upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by CrazyKickCollector, Sep 3, 2013.

1. CrazyKickCollector macrumors newbie

Dec 14, 2010
    I have a macbook white from 2010. I been wanting to upgrade it for awhile now. I am looking to upgrade the ram to 16gb and also add a SSD.

I was looking into buying the 16GB ram from OWC. If someone else has any suggestions for ram please let me know.

When it comes to SSD's I'm a complete noob. I have read a lot about it. I read that this macbook can only read SATA II and not III's. I am trying to make this macbook last. I also want to make it a top of the line laptop as it will be doing video editing on it after the upgrades.

Sorry I am a noob when it comes to computers but I'm willing to learn =). Thanks.
  2. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

Dec 20, 2010
    Certainly upgrading to 16GB of RAM along with an SSD will increase the overall performance of the Macbook, you may even want to look into creating a fusion drive by replacing the optical drive with a drive bay and a large standard laptop hard drive, I did this recently with my mid 2009 Macbook. Video editing on a core 2 duo processor may be pushing it a bit in terms of performance, however I have not done it and seeing as your model is the last and most recent macbook it might not be too bad.
  3. CrazyKickCollector thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 14, 2010
    I was going to do a fusion drive down the line but at the moment I'm looking at ssd's
  4. soapsudz macrumors member

May 14, 2011
    I went for 8GB in my 2010 Macbook because I didn't know which RAM brands worked. I replaced the original hard drive with a fast SSD and the optical drive with a 1 TB hard drive. The old thing flies now, I get fast boot times and application load times from the SSD and I have plenty of storage for photo and video editing on the hard drive. If you rarely use the optical drive, I suggest getting rid of it and putting a hard drive caddy in there.
  5. CrazyKickCollector thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 14, 2010
    which ssd did you purchase?