Macbook White 2010 Mc516ll/a Upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by CrazyKickCollector, Sep 3, 2013.

1. CrazyKickCollector macrumors newbie

I have a macbook white from 2010. I been wanting to upgrade it for awhile now. I am looking to upgrade the ram to 16gb and also add a SSD.

I was looking into buying the 16GB ram from OWC. If someone else has any suggestions for ram please let me know.

When it comes to SSD's I'm a complete noob. I have read a lot about it. I read that this macbook can only read SATA II and not III's. I am trying to make this macbook last. I also want to make it a top of the line laptop as it will be doing video editing on it after the upgrades.

Sorry I am a noob when it comes to computers but I'm willing to learn =). Thanks.

2. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

Certainly upgrading to 16GB of RAM along with an SSD will increase the overall performance of the Macbook, you may even want to look into creating a fusion drive by replacing the optical drive with a drive bay and a large standard laptop hard drive, I did this recently with my mid 2009 Macbook. Video editing on a core 2 duo processor may be pushing it a bit in terms of performance, however I have not done it and seeing as your model is the last and most recent macbook it might not be too bad.

3. CrazyKickCollector thread starter macrumors newbie

I was going to do a fusion drive down the line but at the moment I'm looking at ssd's

4. soapsudz macrumors member

I went for 8GB in my 2010 Macbook because I didn't know which RAM brands worked. I replaced the original hard drive with a fast SSD and the optical drive with a 1 TB hard drive. The old thing flies now, I get fast boot times and application load times from the SSD and I have plenty of storage for photo and video editing on the hard drive. If you rarely use the optical drive, I suggest getting rid of it and putting a hard drive caddy in there.

5. CrazyKickCollector thread starter macrumors newbie

which ssd did you purchase?