Macbook White A1181 display issue

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by SnoOx, Feb 1, 2014.

1. SnoOx macrumors newbie

Hey guys, sorry for my bad English, I am from Brazil.

I bought a used macbook yesterday and it was fine, but today it appears overhated and in this moment the display got half Ok and half bad as you can see in the picture.

Please can someone help me? Thanks. uploadfromtaptalk1391293508213.jpg

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Try connecting it to an external monitor and using it for a while under quite a bit of load. This will stress the GPU (Graphics Card), and will tell you if you have a GPU issue or LCD (screen) issue.

The LCD assembly is composed of three main parts! The LCD itself which is the screen, the display data cable which carries the picture data from the GPU to display on the screen, and finally an inverter to power the screen.

Does this issue happen all the time, only when used for a while, randomly, or when moving the display. If it was the last two options, I would lean towards the data cable, but if it was the first I would say it is the LCD itself.

3. SnoOx thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help dude, it happens all the time from the boot until the shutdown. I am on the Mac now and think that something is not good inside because fan is giving me a "bad smell". I wil turn it off now and send to a professional.

Unfortunatly i don`t have the cable adaptor mini DVI to VGA to test this :/

Thanks.

4. Twimfy macrumors 6502a

Twimfy

Just open it yourself and clean it. Takes all of 20 minutes and with a good guide online it's very unlikely you'll damage anything.

5. SnoOx thread starter macrumors newbie

I already open it but I didn't knew what to do. What I have to clean?

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I assume he means dust. There is not much you can do in terms of smell aside from cleaning off the exhaust fan. Do not use anything but compressed air and maybe a dry cloth.

7. SnoOx thread starter macrumors newbie

I opened and it is totally clean, the smell I told you is like a thing very hot. Look the picture attached, it's clean but unfortunately I couldn't solve this issue, I will take this to a professional tomorrow. Thank you all. uploadfromtaptalk1391373047540.jpg

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The only smell I can think of is the CPU paste burning in. However, I doubt that would be the cause as the machine would have had the paste on for a while. Ask the professional to put new paste on the CPU.

9. SnoOx thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, thank you friend. One question please, if my problem is BGA (VGA) and not display it might appears on a print screen? I would like to try this test as I don't the the mini dvi cable to vga.

10. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

If you take a screen shot (print screen) it shows what the computer is putting out software wise. So it will not help with a hardware issue. I think the display cable is crimped in the hinge.

11. SnoOx thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thank you dude, after the professional result I will came here to tell you what happened. Cheers

12. SnoOx thread starter macrumors newbie

The problem is on display, he will change it and I will take the Mac tomorrow, the cost was 500 BRL (Or USD 215), thank you all.

13. Twimfy macrumors 6502a

Twimfy

The cloth like strip glued over the main fan. Have you lifted that up and taken a look underneath. If there's any compacted dust cooking away that's where it'll be. Worth a look although from what you're describing it's likely something more serious.

I only suggested what I did as it's always worth starting with the basics.