macbook white backlight only on lowest brightness

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dotoni, Apr 1, 2013.

1. dotoni macrumors newbie

Hello wise forum people.
    Perhaps you could name the problem with my macbook. I did find few similar problems on internet, but they were old, and without solutions.
    I took video, so show whats exactly wrong, (its better 1 time to see, then 100 to hear ). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRWp2W7UynU

Problem: basicly my macbooks backlight works only on lowest brightness setting. Even without backlight in bright daylight i can see desktop and all the icons.

Here i found some possible problems:
    CCFL backlight
    display-> logic board cable
    inverter

Thank you for taking your time to look.

2. seveej macrumors 6502a

seveej

3. dotoni thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Middleway macrumors newbie

Possible Backlight Fix

Since the backlight on my 2008 White MacBook wouldn't normally work but would occasionally go on for a short time, most parts must have been working. So, opened up the case via YouTube instructions and cleaned out the insides which were quite dusty after 4 years of use. Blew out and cleaned the fan and the air inlets, put the keyboard back and it worked again. Am still in the testing stage, but if the fan was too dusty, possibly parts were overheating and the backlight shut off since it draws the most power. Watched some YouTube vids and noticed the fan was working hard and the bottom heated up, but the backlight stayed on. Been working for 2 days now w/o problem and no parts were needed. :) I did run DiskUtility a couple of times too, but don't think that had an effect on the backlight problem.