Macbook White: High-quality/capacity battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by alexjholland, Apr 29, 2012.

1. alexjholland macrumors 6502

Hey, I've got an early 2009 White Macbook.

With a new Seagate Momentus XT 750Gb/8Gb SSD Hybrid drive, 4Gb RAM and Lion installed it's really quite a decent machine now!

A combination of being several years old and having a 7200rpm HD means my battery isn't super-long lasting.. And it would be handy to have a second anyway.

£108 on the Apple website seems silly; and the internet is littered with cheap knockoffs.

Are there any high-quality batteries with a minimum of the same capacity as the official Apple battery, if not higher - or somewhere that does the genuine article (to ship to the UK) at a great price?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I wouldn't trust or recommend any non-Apple battery, due to the number of problems reported with "knockoff" batteries. Also, there is no assurance that knockoff batteries have the same charging technology that Apple uses, involving the battery, the MagSafe adapter and the Mac's logic board.

Battery Replacement
    Replacing the built-in battery in your MacBook Pro
    Replacing the Battery in your MacBook Air
    Intel-based Apple Portables: How to replace or service a built-in battery

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

3. alexjholland thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey, it's the easily-replaceable white Macbook battery I'm after.

Also, I could do with a second power-charger too - which seem to also have many knockoffs online!

4. GGJstudios, Apr 29, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2012

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I know. Read the first link.
    Apple hasn't licensed the MagSafe adapter technology to anyone else. Buying cheap knockoffs may or may not damage your MacBook. I wouldn't advise buying anything but Apple batteries and adapters.

5. alexjholland thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah. So in essence, there's one option for each - the authentic, obscenely priced version - and that's it?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you care about your Mac, yes. And the price is a small one to pay to protect your notebook.

7. alexjholland thread starter macrumors 6502

£100+ for a battery is pretty extortionate.. I'd be happier paying that if - in the three-five years since this battery was introduced - a higher capacity version had been introduced instead..

But I'm paying an inflated price by today's standards, for a product that is a capacity of several years ago.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Buy whatever you like. I've given my best recommendation. Take it or leave it.

9. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I'm also looking for a battery for my '09 aluminum MB and yeah.. prices for a fresh battery are pretty high considering it has the same capacity/design as it did 3 years ago.

10. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

I agree that even a new battery from Apple has the same capacity as a new batter did 5 years ago.

However, my 2007 MacBook can get 6+ hours on a charge. That's with my normal usage (no wifi, no cd/dvd, at 1/2 brightness).

So has battery capacity really increased that much?

11. alexjholland thread starter macrumors 6502

Mine does 3 hours, that's full brightness.. Down to just over two if I'm running Ableton Live..