Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maluut

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2009
Hello. I just received my laptop back from Apple after they replaced my logic board for me.

Now that I have brought it home I am noticing the AC power adapter is not lighting up for me and will not charge or power the computer.

I have an L shaped adapter and have updated previously MacBook SMC Firmware Update 1.4.

I've also tried my original T Shaped adapter which is not working either.

I tried resetting the SMC (i think) by removing all power and battery and holding the power button for 5 seconds.. NOt sure if that did anything but still not fixed.

I'd like to not have to run back to the apple store again and am wondering how i can fix this from home? Its a brand new L shaped charger and my battery is currently at replace soon status. Either way I should be getting a LED light on the charger.

Can I uninstall MacBook SMC Firmware Update 1.4 and reinstall it? Any other ideas?

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook3,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB31.008E.B02
SMC Version (system): 1.24f3
Serial Number (system): W8808026Z65
Hardware UUID: 9DC01F4E-EB3F-5AC0-AF93-402A46CD91D3
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

AC Charger Information:

Connected: No
Charging: No

Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh): 1929
Fully charged: No
Charging: No
Full charge capacity (mAh): 3965
Health Information:
Cycle count: 667
Condition: Normal
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): -1352
Voltage (mV): 11143

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Try resetting the SMC. Also check out troubleshooting MagSafe adapters. Instructions for both in the CHARGING section of the following link. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

maluut

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2009
thanks, I have tried this and looked at the charging section. They do not resolve my issue which is that I have all the latest updates, the correct charger which has worked before, but no power or light coming into the computer thru my L shaped connector.

Tried resetting smc. nothing.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
thanks, I have tried this and looked at the charging section. They do not resolve my issue which is that I have all the latest updates, the correct charger which has worked before, but no power or light coming into the computer thru my L shaped connector.

Sounds like another trip to the Apple Store.

Satori

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2006
London

Strange that there is no light at all! Even if it is not charging the battery you should get a green light. Have you checked there is no obstruction in the magsafe port?

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL

I know this sounds silly but have you tried an different outlet in your house. Or do you have a another laptop you can try the charger on, or maybe a friends laptop.. Also made sure the battery is seated correctly and coin slot is set right...

maluut

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2009
Thought i would leave a reply. Problem solved.

Went back to apple today in a fairly bad mood. Complained that it would not receive power. My "genius" went thru some diagnostics to try see why the SMC firmware wasn't working and after about twenty minutes the dc-in decided to work, momentarily..

The input plug was perhaps a little dirty, but somehow one of the connectors was not aligning correctly. He managed to replace the connector to the computer free of charge. I also asked him if i could speak to someone else about my old battery which was in "replace soon" status. He explained to me that my 90 day warranty was only to service for my logic board, not other computer parts. I gave him the evil eye and he turned over a new battery free of charge!

I guess the lesson is to use your words at the apple store and complain complain complain until you get something free. He knew I wasn't going to buy a new battery and that I was pissed I had to go back multiple times.

Sorry to rant but I really hate apple stores.

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
Thought i would leave a reply. Problem solved.

Went back to apple today in a fairly bad mood. Complained that it would not receive power. My "genius" went thru some diagnostics to try see why the SMC firmware wasn't working and after about twenty minutes the dc-in decided to work, momentarily..

The input plug was perhaps a little dirty, but somehow one of the connectors was not aligning correctly. He managed to replace the connector to the computer free of charge. I also asked him if i could speak to someone else about my old battery which was in "replace soon" status. He explained to me that my 90 day warranty was only to service for my logic board, not other computer parts. I gave him the evil eye and he turned over a new battery free of charge!

I guess the lesson is to use your words at the apple store and complain complain complain until you get something free. He knew I wasn't going to buy a new battery and that I was pissed I had to go back multiple times.

Sorry to rant but I really hate apple stores.

That's great to hear!!!! Glad you got things worked out.

ATL Golfer

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2011
Hi guys. First post. Figure I would just bump this than to try and start a new thread.

Issue: Had very small amount of liquid hit the Mac (same model as subject) while the lid was shut. Computer would not boot up. Dead.

I had given up hope and bought a new MacBook Pro ($999 from Micro Center)...but did not open the unit until all hope was lost.

I took my machine to a local repair shop that does free diagnostic on Macs. They took it apart and determined that I needed a new MagSafe installed internally. Said it was $150 for everything and I was happy to pay that given that I had just shelled out a grand. Pick up the computer today and everything is great except the battery is under "Not Charging" status and "Replace Now".

The battery was fine before the water. We tried another battery at the repair shop and same message. Anything I can do before I go to the Apple Store and they tell me it is shot without looking at it?

Repair shop will do more diagnosis if Apple can't do anything...

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
Hi guys. First post. Figure I would just bump this than to try and start a new thread.

Issue: Had very small amount of liquid hit the Mac (same model as subject) while the lid was shut. Computer would not boot up. Dead.

I had given up hope and bought a new MacBook Pro ($999 from Micro Center)...but did not open the unit until all hope was lost.

I took my machine to a local repair shop that does free diagnostic on Macs. They took it apart and determined that I needed a new MagSafe installed internally. Said it was $150 for everything and I was happy to pay that given that I had just shelled out a grand. Pick up the computer today and everything is great except the battery is under "Not Charging" status and "Replace Now".

The battery was fine before the water. We tried another battery at the repair shop and same message. Anything I can do before I go to the Apple Store and they tell me it is shot without looking at it?

Repair shop will do more diagnosis if Apple can't do anything...

Have you tried to reset the SMC or the PRAM maybe you have a dead dc inverter that the shop installed? or maybe it's just a dead battery, given your machine is 4 years old...

ATL Golfer

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2011
Have you tried to reset the SMC or the PRAM maybe you have a dead dc inverter that the shop installed? or maybe it's just a dead battery, given your machine is 4 years old...

Thanks for the links. I just tried those, nothing.

The battery worked fine before the water spill. The repair shop tried a battery from another machine and same message, non-charging issue. I'm going to go to the Apple Store and see if they have a battery I can try out.

If there are other things to try, please let me know!

Thanks again for helping.

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
Thanks for the links. I just tried those, nothing.

The battery worked fine before the water spill. The repair shop tried a battery from another machine and same message, non-charging issue. I'm going to go to the Apple Store and see if they have a battery I can try out.

If there are other things to try, please let me know!

Thanks again for helping.

Try checking the pins that's inside the magsafe. Sometimes they get stuck and don't make an good connection even though it's seated correctly on the MB. Maybe try another charger if available....

ATL Golfer

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2011
Try checking the pins that's inside the magsafe. Sometimes they get stuck and don't make an good connection even though it's seated correctly on the MB. Maybe try another charger if available....

Thanks, tried that....still no go.

Back from the Apple Store. Bought the new battery and put it in....works....almost. Computer is powered up, not connected to the power adapter and running, however the calculated time for the battery is jumping all over the place ... 1:15, 2:09, 1:52 ...is this typical, will it stabilize once it is used to the new battery?

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Thanks, tried that....still no go.

Back from the Apple Store. Bought the new battery and put it in....works....almost. Computer is powered up, not connected to the power adapter and running, however the calculated time for the battery is jumping all over the place ... 1:15, 2:09, 1:52 ...is this typical, will it stabilize once it is used to the new battery?

Yes... the battery time jumps constantly depending on what you are doing... For example: If your watching an HD YouTube video your battery time might be 2:30, and when your done watching that video it will go back up to whatever it was. Nothing to worry about, just use your battery ;).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.